Monday, May 01, 2006

QUICK VIETNAMESE BITES IN CHINATOWN

I was attending an event in the Ladder District last week and was fortunate enough to find a parking meter (a broken one too! talk about good parking karma) in Chinatown. So after my event, I figured I'd take advantage of this rare free parking situation and made a quick trip to the Vietnamese sandwich.

No, the name of this store isn't actually the Vietnamese sandwich shop. That's just what i call it cause i don't know it's name. (i think it involves Saigon, though) And yes, the are other places to get a Vietnamese sandwich in Chinatown, but this is the one i like the most. it's located right between Empress Garden and McDonald's on Washington St. and is just a little store with no seating. I like this place cause it has great, cheap sandwiches. I always order the chicken teriyaki sandwich.

So for those of you've who hadn't had the joy of eating a Vietnamese sandwich, it's basically a chewy french roll and piled on top is your choice of meat, cucumbers, some lightly pickled veggies, cilantro and some other ingredients (like mayo and thai chilis, which i never get). All of this makes for a yummy flavor packed sandwiches that also has all these great textures. And one large sandwich will cost you just $3.50. Great deal huh?

Ok, so i don't have a pic of the sandwich, since i gobbled it down in my car before i got home. (yeah, like you've never done that before.) But i did also pick up some quick stuff for snacking on later on. Here's the pic of some summer shrimp spring rolls. That's shrimp, basil, bean sprouts and rice noodles all rolled up into a bundle and served on the side with some sweet dipping sauce. Leah knows how to make these by herself, but i'm too lazy, and these were very good.
And here's a little chicken to go box with rice. Also a great meal to go.

And for all this, I paid $8.50. Amazing huh? You gotta love Chinatown. I know I do.

No comments: