Saturday, December 03, 2005

FRESH FRUITS AND VEGGIES DELIVERED TO MY DOOR

i know i've neglected the blog for nearly a week now. but honestly, i haven't eaten anything great enough to blog about. i did have an ice cream at jp licks with katie earlier this week, but we both forgot cameras and cell phones, so i'll blog about them when i return and can take pics. don't get the turtle ice cream, though. stick with the coffee oreo. i did have dinner and drinks at Eastern Standard last night, but since they're my neighbors, i've opted not to blog about my numberous eating experiences there. suffice it to say, eat at the bar over getting a table. order the pim 75 which is an excellent drink (both katie and i enjoyed it immensely) and the squash soup is also very tasty.

i promise to try and blog more this week, though it's unlikely to happen since i'll be spending most of the week working towards the south end holiday market next weekend. but come visit me there and i'll give you hot chocolate samples. ok, back to the title of this post. So at some point last year, I was visiting my cousin Cindy in Berkeley. And she was a member of this really cool veggie/fruit delivery service. Basically, she paid $25 a week and this company would put together local fresh fruits and veggies, whatever happened to be in season, and pack it into a box and deliver it once a week.

now, i thought that was a super cool idea. and one that'd work well in california since they're all into fresh food and organic stuff. i thought it'd never be seen in boston. but i was wrong. i was reading the improper bostonian a few weeks ago, and they wrote about a service in boston that did the exact same thing. it's called Boston Organics and here's their website. http://www.bostonorganics.com/. So i've just signed up for this service and here's what I did. I signed up for the $25 delivery, except i got it for every other week. (since I live alone, i can't eat a whole box of fruits and veggies by myself every week, so I was happy to see this option). Also, there are different options to pick from. I chose the 50% fruit/50% veggie option. But you can get like 2/3 veggies or 2/3 fruit, etc. And they let me pick stuff that i never wanted delivered. I'm a picky eater, so i was also happy to get rid of stuff like bananas, eggplants, melons(i have an allergy), and various berries.

Everything that I'm given will be organic. And the delivery's free. I'm having it delivered to work since I'm here all the time, but they'll also leave it on your doorstep if you're not home. Here's the one big difference, though. Since we live in New England, we don't have a 12 month growing season like in CA. So though Boston Organics tries to source local farmers as much as possible, they will also bring in stuff from CA and certain farms in South America. I'm ok with that, though I do look foward to my boxes in spring and summer. The other thing I like about this services is that it forces me to be creative and try new foods and recipes. I don't know what I'm gonna get each time(though it's listed on the website), but when i do receive it, i can start looking for different recipes to try out. As soon as I get my delivery, I'll take picks and update you guys on how it all looks, but i'm excited to have something to look foward to!

No comments: