Tuesday, March 07, 2006

IS THERE ANY BUTTER AT THE BUTTERY?

Which is what one of our fellow customers asked while we ate. A couple of weeks ago, Jayna and I decided that we wanted to go have lunch. She needed to go to the South End to visit a site and I wanted to go to the South End to check out some coffeeshops. So with that in mind, I suggested that we visit the Buttery, which opened not too long ago on Shawmut St. and Union Park St. First, let me just say that I was thrilled to have found VISITOR PARKING in the south end! it'll probably never happen again in my lifetime.

Upon arriving at the South End Buttery, I realized that I'd driven by this place many times before, and had always wondered if it was ever open. After looking at the hours, I realized that I was just driving by at the wrong time. The Buttery does an intense lunch crowd, so they're only open until 3pm on weekdays, 5pm on weekends, but they're packed the entire time.It's a super casual place, but they have lovely salads, sandwiches, homemade soups and pastries. I think they make everything on premises in their basement kitchen. It's also pretty small, so I was glad that we were able to grab a table (though they turn pretty quickly). I also admired their lovely espresso machine. It was old school and beautiful. Too bad they didn't know how to use it properly. Jayna ordered some chicken soup (she was just starting to get sick and remains so even now). While I ordered a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich.

And here are the remnants of that sandwich. ( I apologize, i forgot about photographing until I'd consumed most of it.) But it was yummy and melty and cheesy. I liked it a lot. Sometimes the simplest things in life are the best.

Here's Jayna's soup. It looked good, and they used real chives. How rare.

And lastly, we shared a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie which was fantastic. Loaded with butter, it probably set me back a week at the gym, but it was worth it. So in response, yes, there is butter at the south end buttery, and it's all in the cookies.

No comments: