Tuesday, March 07, 2006

MEET ME AT RENDEZVOUS IN CENTRAL SQUARE

Yes, I've heard your questions, wondering if I had abandoned the blog. But no! Not at all. Let's just say that February was a very busy month (valentine's day and all) and my camera was on a play date. But here I am, back to blogging and filling you in on all my recent eating adventures, so you have something to read if you're stuck at home sick or sitting at work having finished reading updates on Project Runway. Speaking of which, have you read Andy's blog on Bravo's website? It's excellent. You should all take a quick detour and take a look. I'm doing that right now.

Ok, I've returned. So a few weeks ago, my friend Huong was back in town visiting her bf, Kjell. So we decided to get dinner, and since they lived in Central Square, i suggested that we try out Rendezvous, which Leah had been to the previous night and had enjoyed quite a lot. Perhaps many of you are asking where Rendezvous is located and it now occupies the space that was once the home of Burger King on Mass Ave. When we entered, I was pretty impressed at what they had done with the space. They honestly hadn't made any huge structural changes from the previous occupant, but it had become a beautiful warm and comfortable space. Lots of yellow helps.

This restaurant happened to be very busy that night, because it was a holiday, but we got seated at table right away anyway. After perusing the menu, we figured out that this place is a bit on the pricier side. And nothing on the menu was wow, extraordinary and unusual. Lots of the typical stuff, which meant that the ultimate judgement would be based on execution. Both Kjell and I decided to order 2 appetizers in place of an entree. While Huong got an entree of duck 3 ways (yeah, i considered it momentarily, but I'm over my whole duck craving).

So here's my first appetizer of scallops.Very colorful and yummy. I loved the addition of blood oranges. And the scallops were very well seared. I gotta figure out how to do that at home. I think I have the wrong pans...

I also took a picture of Kjell's appetizer of saradines. Ok, I admit these were a bit unusual, cause they're so much bigger than the sardines I'm used to seeing it. Kjell enjoyed them a lot, but they were too fishy for my taste. It was a very generous portion, though. My second appetizer was the shrimp risotto. Again, nothing extradordinarily new, but very well prepared and I enjoyed it a lot. Plus they were pretty generous with the shrimp. For dessert, we decided to pick two off the menu and share it. Nothing was super fascinating, but I wanted to try the pear tarte tatin cause as you all should know, tarte tatin is my favorite dessert and I make a killer one. And we also shared a chocolate almond cake? (i think that's what it was). Here's the pear tarte tatin.It was allright. Nothing spectacular. I could've made a better one. And here's the chocolate cake.

I enjoyed the candied hazelnuts that were crushed and sprinkled on top. But again, nothing extraordinary that couldn't be produced at home.

Overall, I enjoyed Rendezvous. It's a great addition to the area. When I lived in Central, it was hard enough finding anywhere decent to eat. (now, everyone will say, but what about Central Kitchen- I don't like it). It's definitely a great place to go if there's a special occassion or if someone else is paying, but a little to pricey for an every week visit. And I'd skip the desserts. If you need something hit, visit Toscanini's, just 2 blocks away.

No comments: