Tuesday, May 20, 2008

STONE FRUIT SEASON HAS ARRIVED!

Those of you who know me you know that I love stone fruit (ok, at least Tom knows that). And I'm happy because the summer stone fruit season has arrived in CA. It started with cherries that appeared a couple weeks ago at the farmer's market. They were too expensive for me to buy then (at nearly $5/ lb.), but as the season stretches on, the prices start to drop. They were closer to $4 today, but I'm looking foward to going cherry picking later this summer, so I can pick my own cherries and pay around $2/lb.

Today I was thrilled to see the arrival of the first white peaches and white nectarines at the farmer's market. They are smaller than the ones we can get in Southern CA, but just seeing them made me happy, so I bought a few white peaches. I've just had one, and though it wasn't as sweet as I'd like, it was still pretty good, with firm, crunchy flesh and a nice flavor. I can't wait until we get even more into summer, so I can stuff myself with more stone fruits- finally, summer has arrive in the Bay Area.

No comments: