Monday, November 10, 2008

LUNCH AT POULET

For some time I've wanted to visit Poulet, a little deli in Berkeley that serves, what else? - chicken. So on a Monday, Tom and I headed over there to grab a quick lunch. Apparently we showed up right before the lunch rush arrived, because there weren't any people waiting when we arrived, and there was a line as soon as we had placed our orders.

The place is kinda tiny, but very cute and decorate in sort of a rustic French way. The front is dominated by a really big case, where they keep a bunch of cold salads and various other side dishes. You can tell this must be a popular place to get some quick take out for lunch or dinner. Tom and I perused the menu for a little bit, before finally settling on what we wanted to order.

I ended up getting a chicken plate. I had a choice of three different flavors of chicken, and ended up going with teriyaki and a side of coleslaw. The food was well cooked and flavored, but I thought the portion was kinda skimpy for the amount of money. But maybe that's not such a bad thing. I really should stop eating so much food and start cutting back on my portion sizes- you know, more of that European thing - really good food, but in smaller quanities.

Meanwhile, Tom got a panini which ended up being kinda boring. The panini wasn't grilled long enough for the cheese to actually melt, and all it was was chicken and cheese on bread - there weren't any additional veggies or additions.
In retrospect, we may not have had the most wonderful food at Poulet, but it certainly was decent enough. And to be honest, if it were open right now, I'd probably run over then to pick up a quick, simple, realtively healthy lunch. It really does have it's place, and though we may not be visiting it often, I'm sure we'll go back at some point.

No comments: