Saturday, April 25, 2009

BOSTON: DAY 1

Ok, so you all know that I'm engaged. And this is the meal that I had prior to being proposed to. Now, this wasn't the meal that we were supposed to have. I was supposed to have flown into Boston on a red eye to land early Sunday morning. And I made reservations at Craigie on Main - it's a restaurant that I never made it to while living in Boston, and with it's relocation to Central Square, I really had no reason not to go. Except my flight got cancelled. So I didn't land until 8:30pm on Sunday, so we didn't have dinner at Craigie on Main. Instead, we went back to the hotel we were stay at (the Hotel Marlowe in Lechmere) and went to the hotel's restaurant, which happens to be Bambara.

When I was living in Boston, Bambara had just opened and it was a pretty popular spot. But I never went. On the evening we went in Boston, it was pretty late, and the restaurant was fairly empty. All I really wanted was a quick bite before going to bed, and this was more than I really wanted to spend on dinner, but oh well, I was tired and didn't care.

So first we got some rolls with butter:

Then, I got some mini lobster rolls (hey, I was in Boston. I had to eat lobster at least once!) Unfortunately, I forgot to take pics of them, but there were 3 mini lobster rolls on a plate, served on toasted brioche buns. They were really good. So good that I ate all of them and forgot to share one with Tom.

For my entree I got a seafood risotto with aspargus and some nice big prawns on top.
It was very good, but kinda heavy and full of butter. I didn't end up finishing the whole thing. The other thing I thought was really good were the fries (they come with Tom's steak frites).
These were well cooked, crispy and they had a nice touch of fresh rosemary. I like them a lot.

Service was uneven, though. It was a big, empty restaurant with not a lot of staff, so when we brought the wrong bill, Tom had to get up and find someone to get the right one. (we would've gladly paid the wrong bill, it was 1/3 of what our bill was). Overall we had a nice dinner there. It was on the expensive side, but I wouldn't mind eating there again, as long as someone else is paying.

No comments: