Sunday, November 06, 2005

THE CREAMIEST CREAM CORN

Last night I wan't particularly hungry. and I was really really tired, but i figured I should make something for dinner. And I remembered that I had bought some fresh corn when we went to Russo's. Now normally, I would just steam the corn and rub on some butter, garlic salt and whatever other I happen to have around, but last night, I decided that I wanted to try something different and make cream corn.

Back when I had food tv, I had watched an episode of Good Eats which featured corn. Alton Brown made some really yummy cream corn, so i went online to find the recipe. I also checked Cook's Illustrated for a cream corn recipe and so, took elements from both recipes to make my own version. Unfortunately I left my camera at home, so I don't have a pic for you guys, but it turned out so well and it was so easy that I wanted to share with all of you.

Here's what you'll need:
5 ears of corn
2 T butter
1/2 an onion or shallot, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1/2 t tumeric
a few sprigs of thyme or rosemary
1 c heavy cream (you can substitute half and half, but it won't be as creamy)

So first you have to cut the kernels off the corn with a sharp knife. Then you take the back of the knife and scrape the corn cob to get the remaining "juice" out of the cob. (This step is called milking). Then set the corn aside.

In a pan, melt the butter and sweat the onions/shallots. Sweating means that you cook the onion/shallots on a low heat until they become soft and translucent. Next, toss in the garlic for like 3o seconds. After that, toss in all the corn and remaining ingredients and let it cook for 10-15 minutes until the corn is cooked through and the liquid in the pan has thickened, stirring occasionally. And that's it. That little addition of tumeric made a huge difference. It added so much additional flavor. I loved it. I think adding a little jalapeno the next time would also add some additional kick and dimension. I liked this dish so much that I've decided to make it for Thanksgiving and if you ever have some extra corn handy, I definetly suggest trying out this creamy cream corn recipe.

No comments: