Sunday, November 06, 2005

SUNDAY BRUNCH IN THE SOUTH END

Long ago, when I had a life, I would frequent the South End for brunch. Usually on Saturdays, since I worked on Sundays, the girls and I would head down there and munch and talk. Very Sex and the City like. But then the girls moved, the store opened, and I stopped going to brunch. But today, Leah and decided that we wanted to go to Sunday brunch. We just needed to get there early and head off to work afterwards. So at 10 am, we were on Tremont Street, parked in the perfect parking space and standing in front of Aquitaine.

I love going to brunch in the South End, cause most of the time, I can't afford to have a normal meal at any of those restaurants. But brunch is great cause you get to sit in these lovely restaurants and eat for $10-$20. And it's got such a relaxed, neighborhoody vibe that it's just very enjoyable. So back to Aquitaine. we learned that even at 10am, you can't get a table there. Though the restaurant was fairly empty, all the tables were reserved, and they couldn't seat us until 1. And so we crossed the street and headed to Metropolis. Another favorite of mine for brunch. And that's the other thing about having brunch in the South End. There's such a high concentration of great restaurants that if one of them is full, you just head to the next one until you find a place. (why they can't open just one of these in Kenmore Square is beyond me)

We were seated immediately at Metropolis, which was pretty full, even at that time. As I said, lots of neighborhood people. And it's really nice to see what people our age normally do on a Sunday morning. We both got coffee. I wasn't very hungry, so I just ordered a side of wheat toast and apple chicken sausage while leah got a monte cristo.

Here's my breakfast. Had to use my cell phone cause i forgot my camera, but i think the pics came out ok. anyway, pretty simple and yummy.
and here's leah's breakfast. I didn't get a good picture of the cranberry pear compote that it came with. But it was a good choice for leah since she was struggling with the always difficult debate of savory or sweet for breakfast and the monte cristo included both. She was a bit disappointed that the pears weren't in the actual sandwich, but i think it was enjoyable over all.
The waitress kept our coffee mugs full and I was very happy with the experience. We were lucky to have gotten there early, though, cause there was already a line when we left. Since we had some extra time, we checked out some stores and restaurants in the area. We discovered that Perdix serve breakfast, which based upon the number of ppl in the restaurant, not many ppl know yet, so we're gonna go there next time, since I've wanted to visit for a long long time. And they have a really beautiful view over a garden in back. So even though I could've slept in on this rainy sunday morning, i'm glad i got up early and had brunch with leah. Hopefully we'll do it more often in the future

No comments: