Friday, November 04, 2005

A FOODIES PARADISE, RUSSO'S IN WATERTOWN

I had heard about Russo's a while ago. My sister Christine often went and came back with fresh fruits, veggies and pints of yummy stuff. But I never had time to make it out there myself, especially since it's located in Watertown. I'd always have plans to go, with my little google map printed and never made it. But yesterday, Leah and I took some time off and finally made it to Russo's, which is located in Watertown. And let me just say, this is the best produce market in Boston. Actually as far as produce markets in general go for the U.S., I'd rank it right below the Wednesday's Farmer's Market back home in LA.

Let's start off with some pretty pics. There Leah's picking out some carrots. She bought a lot of veggies. So the story behind Russo's is that they are a big produce wholesale for lots of the restaurants in Boston. They opened this mega produce store after their wholesale biz had been established. And everything is really reasonably priced.
But since they supply so many restaurants, they have this AMAZING variety of produce. First, there's an outside portion (which they cover with a tent in fall/winter). They even had fingerling potatoes, and these cool blue potatoes that Leah got, parsnips and all kinds of crazy things. A lot of things Leah and I would pick up and be like, so what do you do with this? How do you cook it?

Then you go inside. And it's all green. cause there's so much produce. I mainly bought a ton of fruit, but they had such a wide variety of stuff. Lots of Asian veggies too like Chinese long beans, winter melons, crazy types of basil (they had this deep purple one that'd I'd never even seen before, but smelled fantastic), baby bok choy, etc. Now of course, you can say, well i can just get that at Super 88 or another Chinese super market. But the key here is that everything is under one roof. Here's another pretty pic for you.
Moving on, I was a little disappointed by the prepared foods section. I like buying premade salads from Wholefoods cause I can just grab it out of my fridge in the morning and take it to work. They didn't have any premade salads here, but i definetly got some premade meals which were very tasty. (i ate one for lunch today). The also have a lovely cheese section, fresh pastas, fresh breads, a little bakery and a hot foods counter. Leah got a meatloaf dinner, which she enjoyed a lot. (the meatloaf was wrapped in bacon).

Here's the nice pepper section. I found it very colorful.
We both decided that Russo's is the kind of place you want to walk into with recipes in hand and an idea for what you want to buy. Otherwise, you go kinda nuts finding all this cool stuff to use, buy way too much food and will probably end up at home thinking, now what am i supposed to do with these? Luckily, we made it out of there right before 5, cause that's when a ton of people starting show up and parking got more difficult. At any rate, I had a fantastic time at Russo's and will probably do some Thanksgiving shopping there, and it's certainly worth the extra little trip from Boston.

No comments: