Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A CREAMY MAC AND CHEESE, COURTESY OF KATIE

Oh my faithful blog readers, all 3 of you, I have not neglected and forgotten you. I have so many eating adventures to tell you about after my trip home to CA, but that'll have to wait. Cause the lovely pics that I took documenting each meal are still stuck on my camera. Hopefully they'll be rescued and dowloaded tomorrow. In the meantime, i thought I'd share with you a meal that katie and I cooked up prior to my departure from Boston. So Katie and I are both fans of Project Runway and prior to settling and watching 3 episodes for the night, we decided to make some mac and cheese.

Actually, it's kinda funny that we ended up making mac and cheese using katie's mom's technique, cause there was this whole article in the new york times dining section specifically about mac and cheese. Go i guess this method is known as the "cheese sauce " method, meaning that you start off making a white sauce (a combination of melted butter, flour, milk and cheese) before adding the noodles.

Katie was in charge of making the sauce, while I was in charge of cooking the noodles and cleaning the broccoli. So here's the butter melting in the pan Once that's melted, we added in a bit of flour Now, if we stopped, this would be known as a roux. But then we added milk
And after that, we added the grated cheese where and it all melted into a nice bubbly mess.In the meantime, I was picking through some broccoli crowns, which we decided to add to the mac and cheese for some added flavor and texture. Now, rather than cooking the broccoli in an extra pan of boiling water, i just drained the hot pasta water over a collander filled with the broccoli. That way the broccoli cooks slightly, without overcooking. We wanted to keep the nice crunchy texture. And we finished it off with a nice side salad.

Isn't it so pretty and colorful. And as Katie would say, it was "cheesetastic". I'd definetly like to try the recipe in the NY Times, though, that doesn't use the cheese sauce method. It's certainly a good sign when their mantra is, "when all else fails, add more cheese."

No comments: