Tuesday, January 31, 2006

FOR GOOD FOOD, GO WHERE THE NATIVES GO

As a general rule, when you're looking for good ethnic food, it's a good idea to check out the clientele of the place. When you're going to a Chinese restaurant, and there are actual Chinese people eating there, it's a sign that you're at a good place. (Case in point, Victoria's). So it was a good sign that on my last trip to Sushi Express at St. Mary's on Beacon, there were plenty of Japanese people present. Actually, there were only Japanese people present. (except for me)

Here' s a pic of the place. It's a really simple little restaurant that serves inexpensive food and sushi. Actually more sushi than anything else. And we're not talking about the best sushi in Boston. But it is pretty good and definetly well priced. It's basically the place where the poor Japanese students attending B.U. go to get their sushi fix. (or in my case, the local sushi place where i can get quick take out to eat at home).Here's the interior of the place. Like I said, it's small. Hardly more than 20 seats (maybe 5 can fit at the actual sushi bar). But when I arrived, the place quickly filled up. I had placed my order in advance.Actually I was very hungry, and so was overly ambitious in my ordering. I ended up getting 4 rolls, and here they are below. There's a spicy california roll, a shrimp tempura roll, a chicken teriyaki roll and a soft shell crab roll. (you might have noticed that i don't do the raw thing. not cause i'm scared of raw stuff, but i can't deal with the texture.) of course, this enormous box of sushi was way too much for me. I ate half of it and gave up. and for all that sushi, it cost me $20. This is definetly a place where you can get a quick, casual dinner for under $15, unless you're overordering like i did.And don't worry, they have some items that aren't sushi. Like rice bowls with beef or chicken, if you're not a sushi fan. So in summary, I don't think the sushi at Sushi Express is worth driving to (unlike Oishii, which i once waited 2.5 hours to eat at). But if you happen to be in the neighborhood and in need of your sushi fix, stop by for some inexpensive, pretty good sushi!

No comments: