Wednesday, January 11, 2006

DINING IN LA, DAY 1

HaHa! I have triumphed and managed to get my images from my camera onto my computer. (which might not seem like a big deal to you, but it involved going to staples and buy a card reader on my part). And so, I will begin to tell you about my gustatory adventures in la. It may not be suprising to the rest of you when i say that LA has a lot more ethnic diversity than Boston. Maybe it's the warm weather, or proximity to the Pacific. But along with a large ethnic population comes lots of yummy authentic food. When I'm home in LA, I try to eat Japanese food at least once a day, cause it's so much yummier than in Boston. So let's start with my first one, dinner at Yakitoriya in West L.A.

Now, for many people around the U.S., you might not realize that there are lots of different types of Japanese restaurants. Not just a single restaurant that serves all types of Japanese food, but ones that specialize in certain foods. For examples, the are soba houses, sushi bars, tepanyaki, tempura bars, etc. One of my favorites, is the yakitori bar and my favorite place to eat it is at Yakitoriya. So Yaki means "grilled" and tori means "chicken" and that pretty much sums up the food at this place. Lots and lots of chicken. Which means I'll eat almost everything.

So let's start. First, you have the option of order a 5 stick course or a 9 stick course (stick referring to whatever happens to be on the skewer.) i normally order a 5 stick course and then order other little side dishes to add on. So without further ado, here's a full documentation of my meal:

First they start you off with a little salad
Then, as the chef works on grilling your sticks, food slowly starts to arrive. Here's my first stick, chicken breast. You'll notice the little dots of wasabi on top, plus the spicy mustard and red pepper stuff in the background.Next, here's my stick of liver.mmmmmmm. grilled to perfection. And for those of you who might protest (katie) just think of it as whole pate. (minus the force fed geese/duck)
Moving right along, here's a pic of some chicken meatballs.A pic of chicken gizzards (crunchy yet tender)Some chicken thigh meat with green onions
And so i've covered my 5 sticks. But i mentioned that I like ordering extras. So here are some of my favorites. This is the fried chicken gizzard:And here's a stick of grilled chicken hearts:Here's one of my sister's favorites. It's seasoned ground chicken served over a bed over rice. That's a little quail egg on top.And last of all, I ordered a side of duck breast. This was the only disappointing dish of the meal. It was tasty, but the breast was slightly over cooked and really, I could've done a better job at home.Normally I would've finished this entire meal off with a bowl of ice cream, but i was so full i couldn't stomach anything else. What's so great about the grilling is that it adds all this extra flavor and it's done so well that the meat is cooked, but still juicy. Me likes a lot. If there was a place like this i Boston, I would eat there every day. so if you're ever in west la (and I already got one of my east coast friends to go), please check out one of my favorite restaurants, Yakitoriya.

No comments: