Friday, June 09, 2006

BROOKLINE FARMER'S MARKET OPENS JUNE 15th

I'm jealous of my little sister. Fine. To be honest I'm jealous of everyone living in California. Why? Cause they get to benefit from having beautiful seasonal produce year round. But it hurts the most in the summer. When I'm home in LA, especially during the summer, I always visit the Wednesday's farmer's market in Santa Monica. It's well known for being one of the best farmer's markets in the country. And it's massive. it covers like 6 blocks. Just endless beautiful produce. With sampling enouraged. Here, check it out. (If i were Tom, I'd be smart enough to create a little link here that you could just click on. But i'm not a computer geek. I sell chocolate. so just cut and paste the damn link into your browser. http://santa-monica.org/farmers_market/)

May is cherry season. They're in full blown cherry season. And my little sister was nice enough to tell me a couple of weeks ago that she bought cherries at the farmer's market and thought of me. Today she told me about the white peaches she bought. I've seen cherries once so far this season. It was a whole foods. It cost over $8/pound. And they didn't even look that great. I missed most of my summer last year cause the store hadn't been open too long and by the end of summer, I was so desperate for the taste of cherries and summer that i spent $25 for a bag of cherries at whole foods. And it was worth it. As for white peaches in Boston, i bought them once, at Savenor's on Charles St. I got one for me and one for my sister. they cost over $2/ea. They weren't even that big. And the sucked. They really really sucked.

So yeah. I love following the change of fruit throught the summer season. Cherries in May, Strawberries in June. Yellow and white peaches in July and August. Sigh. I tried going to the farmer's market in Brookline yesterday with Tom. It was raining, but I had hope of buying some plants to start a summer herb garden on my patio. But it wasn't where it was supposed to be. We thought it might've been cancelled due to the rain. After all, the farmer's market in Central Square had started 2 weeks ago, but I check online today and turns out it doesn't start until next week. Sigh. Guess I'll have to wait until I get another Thursday afternoon off. (in like 2 months). Ah well. Such is life in Boston. But at least we get to go apple picking in the fall and drink apple cider all through winter!

No comments: