Thursday, June 29, 2006

A FAREWELL DINNER

Yes, it's true, I'm back in Boston. And I have lots of posting to do about all the emails i ate in Europe, including having bacon for the first time in over ten years while in Munich. (details to follow). But of course, I still haven't posted about the farewell dinner we had for myself plus Huong at Emma's in Kendall Square the night before I left.

Ok, so you'll have to forgive me on this, but I've basically forgotten everything that we ordered. I'm mean really, do you recall meals you've had 2 weeks ago? But you can take a look at the Emma's menu. I'd heard great things about Emma's, especially from my older sister who's a big fan of the place, and Leah, who characterized the pizza as "like candy." I was a little disappointed about the parking situation when we drove into Kendall Square. I've gone shopping at the Garment District, just 2 blocks away, many times, and I've always been able to find parking. Not this night, though. We ended up parking in the lot by Kendall Square Cinema.

There were quite a few of us for dinner. 9 to be exact. and I'd been told that Emma's is a small place, but I didn't figure out how small until the 9 of us had to squeeze around 2 tables. It was ok though. We made it work and it's a good thing that we all knew each other well. The problem would be fitting all the pizza on the two tables. We started off by ordering some guacamole and pita bread. Which was a great idea since i just love guacamole.And then we ordered a lot of pizzas. Basically we tried to order one pizza for every 2 ppl and we wanted to be able to swap slices . So below is the pizza that Tom and I shared. I have no recollection of what was on it.And here's a pic of the pizza Edwin and Aaron shared. As you can see, they are able to split one pizza into 2 styles. So that's pretty cool. I did have a slice of Aaron's and enjoyed that, but again, i have no idea what was on it.And lastly, here's a pic of Katie's pizza. I can pretty much assume that it had goat cheese on it, since Katie is such a goat cheese fan (She's the only college student i know of to keep a supply of goat cheese and baguettes in her dorm room fridge) and i think it's also got sweet potatoes. Which i thought was a cool idea.Overall, we had a really lovely dinner. I liked the pizza, but i think that i've become so accustomed to pizza with some oil on it that I found the Emma's pizza a bit dry. It was fun swapping slices with everyone, though.

After dinner, we decided to go to Toscanini's for some ice cream. And of course, I had to have a mini-sundae. They're tiny, and they're $3, but they're so yummy. I got mine with cappuccino ice cream (i think). I know it wasn't the burnt caramel that I normally get cause they were out of that. I was a little disappointed to see them putting Rediwhip on my sundae since they typically used fresh whipped cream, which is just so delicious. But oh well. At least I got some chocolate sauce too.Oh, and here's a photo of some mini ice cream cakes that we found adorable.Here are Kjell and Huong enjoying their enomorous cup of ice cream that they shared.

And Katie and Dustin. I think Dustin actually got some sort of frappe, which he enjoyed.So overall, a great dinner. And it was wonderful to see my friends before taking off for Germany.

1 comment:

everybodylovesamonkey said...

I seem to recall there being artichokes and mozzarella cheese on ours. Maybe sundried tomatoes too? I think Aaron/Edwin/Leah's pizza had some spicy chicken and carmelized onions on it.

Still a bit dissapointed about my micro-sundae lemon sherbert (with the chocolate fudge and whipped cream on top). Still, hard to fault the serving girl for messing up my order.

Good times.