Thursday, June 15, 2006

DINNER+SHOPPING=IKEA

Ok people. So this is my last post before I leave for Germany. But I'll be back with lots of new posts about dining abroad and my search for schnitzel, pretzels, beer, gummy bears and of course, chocolate. Meanwhile, here's a post about Swedish food (sort of).

So since I am taking off tomorrow, Leah and i decided to make a quick trip to Ikea. And we planned on having dinner there at the Ikea cafe (look, i created a link! it's useful having a computer geek as a bf afterall), because the food is pretty decent and above all, really really cheap. So the ikea cafe is set up like all cafeteria, it's just much more stylish. You start off picking up your tray and utensils and then proceed onto the cold cases. For some reason, the dessert case was displayed before all others. Unfortunately, they didn't have the apple cake that leah really likes. And they weren't restocking because we got there at 8 and the restaurant closed at 9. So we moved onto the salad case, and I gotta admit, these salad did look pretty decent.As did the sandwich case:But we were really hungry and wanted real food.

So it was onto the hot section. Now ikea doesn't have a ton of choices to choose from. They have like 4 main dishes (but of course, this keeps the costs down).Leah got the Manager's special, which you can see below. It's Swedish meatballs with a side of mac and cheese (is that Swedish?) She liked the meatballs, but felt that the mac and cheese was a little weird, which I agreed with. the texture was just a bit off somehow.Meanwhile, I ordered the herbed salmon. Which came with a side of potatoes and veggies. Now I filled my lifetime quota of salmon a few years ago. It was a combo of working in a kitchen where we were served salmon as part of our nightly means on a daily basis and a trip to Alaska, so I normally don't consume it. But sometimes I'll break that rule. My only other choice for dinner was the chicken marsala, and by that point in the night, it wasn't looking so hot. The salmon was pretty good. I did enjoy the herbs, but again, it was the end of the night, so both the salmon and veggies were pretty dry. I liked the potatoes a lot, though.So after dinner it was onto shopping! And on our way out, Leah picked up an Ikea cinnamon bun, while almost witnessing a fight between an ikea customer and employees over a box of cinnamon buns. I must admit that it's absoloutely genius of Ikea to be serving these. Cause you start smelling it even before you hit the checkout. And they are totally tasty. I didn't get one for myself, it was a little too late at night to be consuming that much sugar, but had a bite of Leah's.

I enjoyed dinner. Or the potential of what dinner could have been had ikea been busier and they were actually turning the food. So I hope to give it another try in the future, this time with a cinnamon bun.

1 comment:

That Girl! said...

wah, the food make me pukey in the middle of the night! Could have been the meat in the meatballs, perhaps the mac and cheese? No matter I still love me Ikea something fierce.