Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A MEAL FOR MEAT LOVERS

Tom's friend, Evan, had been asking about Churrascurrias in Boston. I'd only been to one, Greenfield's, and it wasn't that great. But Suemin had recently gone to the Midwest Grill for a friend's birthday and had said it was quite good, so I suggested to Tom that we invite Evan and try it out. I did my normal research and found that I would be able to find things to eat. They reportedly served chicken breast on skewers, so I'd be fine with that. There was also a buffet involved, so I figured I'd find things on that, too.

The Midwest Grill is located in Inman Square, so parking can be kinda tough. It's got some funny decor and goes for a rustic look. (Looks of wood). Here's Jayna posing with one of the plastic cows outside. The place doesn't take reservations, but it's a pretty big restaurant, and as we were quick to find out, the perfect place for a large group dinner. (There are 3 dining rooms). While we were there, there was a wedding party taking place, and another dinner party of at least 20 people. Suffice it to say, it doesn't lend itself to a quiet meal. We were seated in the smallest back room, which was also the location of the bar. As we sat back there, we were able to watch concert footage from Carnival in Brazil on two very very big screens. (I assume this would also be perfect for watching football).

Once we everyone arrived, we were off to the buffet. Here's one shot of it.There were both hot and cold entrees. And I picked some from both. Here you see chicken stew, fried fish and some salad items. Both the chicken stew and fried fish were surprisingly good. We'd figure out that the hot buffet was best when the food had just come out of the kitchen. Then it was delicious. But if it'd been sitting out for a while, it was not so good. I tried to be moderate and hold out for some chicken to arrive.
The rest of the table was occupied eating a variety of roasted meats. I think the sausages were a big winner, but there were like 6 other cuts of meet. I waited patiently for the chicken breast to arrive. In the meantime, I had some of the chicken hearts. (which I usually love, but as reported on a different website, they aren't exactly a popular item, so they tend to get overcooked and tough. That assessment was right on. I ate them anyway). I also had some delicious grilled garlic rolls.As the dinner kept going, I felt that I would never see the chicken breast. Everyone was filling up, and when we finally asked for it, I found out that the chicken breast was wrapped in bacon. Sigh. It was time for me to return to the buffet and fill up on things I'd actually eat. I did enjoy the all you can eat ice cream on the buffet and did fill up by the end of the meal. The rest of the dinner party seemed to have enjoyed the meal and as for me, the next time I'll do a little more research before heading out to another Brazilian bbq.

No comments: