Wednesday, April 25, 2007

TIDBITS

Here's a few random thoughts and musings....

1. I've cancelled my Boston Organics membership. Yup, after about a year, I've ended it. My last two orders had been pathetically small. I could go to Whole Foods and buy the same amount of organic produce for $15 rather than the $27 I was spending. Plus, the quality of the produce was in decline, and I was sick of it. And now that Tom lives with me, we go shopping once a week, so it's not such a big convenience anymore. I was going to cancel anyway, since I've joined a CSA for the summer, so I think it's all for the best.

2. I finally found some salt packed anchovies. I had discussed this with Leah. All these recipes and chefs call for salt packed anchovies, but you know what? They're damn hard to find. Whole Foods doesn't carry them and South End Formaggio had run out. An impromptu trip to Lionette's proved to be the key. They had them (at nearly $28/lb!) and we bought a quarter pound for a total of five fish. Luckily, that'll make at least 2 dishes. And during my next trip to NY, I plan to buy a giant tin (well that's how they're sold) and bring them back.

3. It's my store's birthday today. We're two years old. Actually, I'd forgotten about it, and didn't do any promotions for it, because I was busy with the Vermont trip and focused on the fact that it's also Tom and my one year anniversary today. (Makes it easy to remember, huh?). We weren't planning on doing anything, we're not really big into that stuff, but I was reading Leah's blog and discovered that Ken Oringer's new Mexican restaurant, La Verdad, had opened. More importantly, it's 4 blocks away. So we're gonna go check it out tonight for our anniversary dinner. I'll report back tomorrow.

4. I'm planning a roadtrip to Toronto. Am looking foward to trying all the ethnic eats, and visiting the two Chinatowns. Plus, unlike visits to Europe, the exchange rate is quite favorable to us, so I won't have to spend tons of money. Suggestions are welcome.

4. There's an interesting AP story about the governor of Oregon living on food stamps for one week. Which got me thinking, what would I do if I had to survive on food stamps for a week. (His total was $21) My conclusion...starve. Or live off of ramen and peanut butter and jelly. or the McDonald's dollar menu. This really could be one of the causes of our current obesity problem. Unfortunately, unhealthy food is cheap. And fruits and veggies are more expensive. I complain about being broke all the time (which truly I am, but it's more debt than broke), but the article reminds me that at least I'm lucky enough to lead a healthy and happy life.

1 comment:

That Girl! said...

Happy anniversary!!!