Thursday, April 19, 2007

NEPALESE BUFFET IN ARLINGTON

I'm not a huge fan of Boston.com's food writing, but I do enjoy reading their suggestion for Cheap Eats. I've tried a few and they tend to be pretty good. And if they're not, it's not a huge loss of money. (Normally meals are under $15 per person, a lot of times, it's under $10). So on Marathon Monday, we braved the rain and crowds (turns out it was easier to leave our place than get back) and headed out to Arlington for meal at Kathmandu Spice, a Nepalese fusion restaurant.

I've never had Nepalese cuisine, but from what I'd read, it's heavily influence by Indian and Chinese cuisine. So I'll let you know now, lunch was more like an Indian buffet. Here's a pic of the interior. It's nicely decorated (though the booths we sat in weren't all the comfortable) and divided into two rooms. When we entered, there were only a couple of tables filled, but more people would arrive. The buffet was set up towards the front of the room and you just help yourself.This isn't one of those huge Indian buffets that you may be accustomed to. There's one appetizer, one soup and 4 or 5 other dishes. I think Tom and Sue Min sample some of each. Here's my plate below. You can seen an onion pakora towards the top (yummy, especially when they're fresh), a side salad and Tandoori chicken. I really liked the tandoori chicken. It was well cooked and flavorful, and it was the first time I'd seen it served with different types of peppers (rather than just onion). Tom liked the chicken curry, but I disliked the heavy use of cinnamon, and Suemin generally enjoyed everything.
But my favorite thing was the fresh naan. It comes with the meal, and I chose garlic naan. It comes out super fresh, warm, bathed in clarified butter and simply delicious. I could've eaten these and been perfectly happy. And you can get as much as you want. Overall, I had a delightful meal. We stuffed ourselves and spent around $10/person. That's an excellent deal. I'd like to go back in the future for dinner, so I can try some actual Nepalese dishes, but if you're in the area for lunch, it's certainly worth a visit.

No comments: