Thursday, August 16, 2007

TAIWAN: DAY 1

On our first day in Taiwan, we all had jetlag and woke up super early. (actually, I didn't sleep the entire night). So my mom and I went off to pick up breakfast- something my sisters and I would do every day. If you've ever been to Taiwanese dim sum with me before, you're already familiar with what we eat- soy bean milk, fried dough, rice balls, etc. We usually go to a place located half a block from my grandma's house, but my mom wanted to take me to a place where they fried their own dough fresh, it was 3 blocks from the house.

Lots of these places are hole in the walls. Literally. Just small spaces with a few seats. Most people are picking up anyway. Here's where my mom took me.
You can see the basket of fried dough in the background. But it was too early in the morning, so they had already pre-fried everything. Here are the cups of soybean milk.Most locals don't eat this every day. They'll just eat breakfast at home. But it's hard getting this type of food in the states, so my sisters and I would get it every morning.

On the way home, I saw tea eggs in the window of a convenience store, so I made my mom stop and buy me one- yes, this would count as fast food in Taiwan. We spent the rest of the day engaged in funeral ceremonies. But on the way home at night, my mom stopped to make a purchase at a food cart just a few doors down from my grandma's house. The street vendor has been there for a long time and knows all the members of my family. The grilled buns were filled with meat and veggies (so I wasn't able to eat one) but they certainly looked good. More street food will follow. I even have some video for you guys!

No comments: