Thursday, August 16, 2007

TAIWAN: DAY 3

Yes, I realize that I skipped day 2 in Taiwan. We spent the entire day doing funeral stuff, but I did enjoy this lovely mini pizza from Pizza Hut.That's a veggie pizza with corn and peas (in addition to other stuff). It was...interesting, but since it was the first thing we'd eaten in several hours, it was fine.

Our third day in Taiwan was much more relaxing. After we all got haircuts, my mom, Aunt Sherida, sister and I all went out to lunch at another local place around the corner from the haircut place. There a lot of these little local food places lining the streets of Taipei. It's hard to tell which ones were good, by my Aunt Amy recommended this one. They're all super super cheap, but having someone else order makes things much easier. Of course, with my mom and sister ordering, we ended up with far too much food.
Here's a bowl of fish ball soup:Small plates of bamboo shoots and seaweed:Dried tofu and green veggies
and we also got a few bowls of noodles to share. To finish it all off, we got shaved ice, a favored Taiwanese dessert, which I had several times over my stay. Underneath the ice, I've got my favored combination of cooked sweet peanuts, green beans and sweet jello. Our entire lunch for 4 probably cost less than $20.

I don't quite recall what we spent the afternoon doing. But for dinner we ate out with my uncle, his family and a bunch of his friends. My uncle is the president of Taishin bank, so he arranged for a private dinner in the executive dining room on the 26th floor of the bank. Here's a great pic of the view. The tall building on the right is Taipei 101- the 2nd tallest building in the world.
It was a pretty fancy dinner. We got printed menus and there nearly a dozen courses, but I didn't feel good about taking pics since we didn't know any of the people sitting at the kid's table with us. The service reminded me of dinner at Per Se, though. There was so much staff that every time anyone got up to go to the bathroom they'd take you there, wait for you outside, and lead you back to the dining room.

But we had to take pics of dessert, where they brought in a an ice shaver so everyone could make their own bowl of shaved ice. Here's a pic of the topping set up Here's me and my mom filling our bowls. My uncle is to my right. And here's my bowl of my dessert.Dinner was great and we were totally stuffed when we finished. Luckily, we didn't have too many meals like this. Otherwise, I'd have gained more weight than I already did over the week.

1 comment:

cathy said...

WOW those pictures are AWESOME, who TOOK THEM?!