Thursday, December 27, 2007

A CHRISTMAS TRIP HOME

There are several things I like about living in Northern California. And one of those things is being a one hour flight away from my family, making two day trips home totally do-able. After spending almost 10 years living on the east coast, I'd felt kind of left out of family gatherings and such, so it's really nice being able to enjoy those occasions again.

As I said in an earlier post, my new job is not so different from my old job. I guess that comes from being small businesses. (My current company has only been open a year longer than my own store). Which is great for some reasons and crappy for others. It's crappy because we're currently understaffed at the store. So while my boss goes to China, my co-worker goes to Argentina and the sales staff gets a week off, I am the only one in the entire company to not get an extra day off for Christmas or New Year's. It just so happens that my regular days off also fall on these two national holidays. So our two day trip down to LA was fun, but short.

The first night we got there, my parents stuffed us with dinner at Korean BBQ. Tom at so much beef that his tummy swelled. The next day, we were off to see the Murakami exhibit at MOCA, but before that, I wanted to stop and say hello to Katie. We dropped by her house and played with her cute kitties for a bit and then decided to head out for some lunch.

We ended up at a local Greek place called Daphne's. I'd been here with Katie before, except that time, I hadn't eaten. This time, I ordered a chicken pita.

It was small and simple, but quite tasty. Our food came out super fast after we had ordered, but it was tasty, healthy fast food. Tom got this plate of fried shrimp:
That was also really tasty. The shrimp were greasy or over fried at all. I keep telling Katie that if we had a place like this near us, I'd be going all the time (which I think she does).

After lunch we checked out the MOCA exhibit, which was very cool, even though it was kinda small. Afterwards, I met up with Juliet. It was SUPER hot when we were in LA, so we decided to cool down with a little fro yo from Pinkberry. Now, as almost all of you know, Pinkberry is this super famous frozen yogurt place that's very popular in LA. However, I'd never been, and that's because I'm not a huge fan of yogurt, or really any super dairy stuff. But I decided to give it a try and ordered the green tea (your other option is plain) topped off with some mango.

And as I suspected, I didn't like it. It was just too tangy for me. I took a small bite and just ate the mango off before disposing of it. So I effectively paid $5 for half a cup of mango. At least I've learned that I really really don't like Pinkberry, and so, I'll stick with my favorite gelato, or just ice cream.

No comments: