Sunday, August 03, 2008

MEXICAN FOOD IN SAN DIEGO

Last weekend Tom and I headed down to San Diego for a visit with friends and family. Tom actually headed down earlier than I did, taking a couple extra days off to hang out with his friend Evan and attend Comic Con. Meanwhile, I stayed to work, but headed down Saturday evening to join Tom. When I arrived, I was picked up by my little sister and her boyfriend who live in SD and then we picked up Tom. I was ready to eat after I landed. My little sister had planned to take us to Phil's, a local BBQ joint, but turns out that Tom had already gone, so we headed to Old Town instead and looked for a place to eat.

Apparently Old Town SD is very touristy, and filled with Mexican places to eat. Not a bad idea, since Mexican food in San Diego is supposed to be great (how can it not be with Mexico being less than an hour's drive away), and almost all the restaurants we saw were packed with people. We got a really great parking spot and started looking for a place to eat. We saw a huge restaurant, which seemed to have a fairly short, quick moving line in front, so we decided to check it out. The place was Cafe Coyote. It kinda looked like the place you'd hang out as a college student and wanted to drink margaritas, but I was hungry and it seemed promising enough.

We were seated quickly in one of the large dining rooms, and right away we ordered some guacamole and chips and were also given salsa with more chips for free.
I actually like the salsa. It was kinda watery but had good flavor.
And I like the generous serving of guacamole, though it could've used more salt. If I could've taken the salsa seasoning and mixed it with the guacamole, I would've had a really great guacamole, but I just took alternating dips of both.

I ended up ordering this combo place with a fish taco and a chicken enchilada. The fish taco was pretty good, but the crema dressing was a bit thick, and they didn't serve it with the nice pickled veggies that I enjoy. The chicken in the enchilada was a bit tough, and the thing was so drenched in cheese, that I ended up scraping most of the cheese off and taking nibbles from the inside.
Tom ordered a "Mexican pizza" which looked interesting, but was quite heavy. It kinda reminded him of the Taco Bell Mexican pizza, but heavier.

Overall, the food was decent enough, and it certainly satisfied my hunger. The service could've been better, though. Our waitress was pretty good at first, taking our orders and getting the food to us quickly, but then she totally disappeared. We couldn't find her to get our check, and when we were ready to pay, it took even longer for her to pick up the credit card to run it. I did kinda enjoy the live music, played buy two guys who were talking from table to table, playing their guitars for tips, but it really was a tourist trap and I look foward to more authentic Mexican food the next time we visit.

No comments: