Sunday, August 03, 2008

VENTURING OUT

As you all know, Tom and I have a favorite Thai restaurant that we always go to - we visit almost 2-3 times a month. (And we just saw the owner at our local farmer's market, which is always a nice thing to see) But there are a number of Thai restaurants in the area, and after some debating, we finally decided to venture out and try a new place, one that we'd heard was pretty good, called Sweet Basil.

The restaurant is rather oddly shaped. we entered through what appeared to be the main entrance- which was a rather small room with only 12 tables and a kitchen, but there appeared to be another larger dining room outside, which was filled with a private party. We were seated right away (the dining room we were in was kinda empty) and we started to peruse the menu. There was a lot of stuff that you'd see at any typical Thai restaurant - this one just seemed a little fancier and slightly pricier.

Tom and I decided to share a few appetizers, and then ordered a few entrees. We started off with these summer rolls stuffed with veggies and tofu. There were pretty good (though not nearly as good as the summer rolls they occasionally have at Sabuy Sabuy).
Next we shared some mushroom skewers. They had a choice of different skewers, but we wanted some veggies and got the mushrooms one. At $3/ea, I was hoping for some mushrooms that were more exotic than white button mushrooms (even some mini portobellos would've been nice) , so I'd say these were just ok.
And I also ordered a bowl of Tom Yum soup. Tom says that whenever I don't like something at a restaurant, I always say that I can make a better version of it at home, and I could've made a better version of this soup.
Behind my soup, you'll see a dish of fried squid that Tom is still complaining about, even weeks after we had this meal. This was their famous crispy fried squid, which Tom expected to be your normal fried squid, but it turns out the batter on it was sweet- they had put sugar it it. And that made it taste really really strange. He's still saying "You don't put sugar on squid".

After this I had Pad Kee Mow as my entree, and it was pretty decent, but nothing special. And Tom doesn't even remember what he had as an entree. Overall, our dinner wasn't horrible, it was pretty average. And maybe it wouldn't have been as bad if we didn't know that we could've gone to a fantastic Thai meal just 1/2 mile away. Personally, I think people are still eating at Sweet Basil because they have yet to discover the greatness of Sabuy Sabuy 2.

No comments: