Sunday, August 03, 2008

SAN DIEGO, DAY 3

Well, you guys may actually see some blog posts out of me this week. Tom's off in Boston for a whole week, and kitty's ignoring me (as usual). So unless some really great stuff starts showing up on TV, I'll be blogging more. Though I must admit, I have gotten quite addicted to Weeds. Unfortunately, my local video store didn't have season 2 in stock, so I've got one episode left of season 1 before I run out of episodes to watch.

But onto the food. On our last day in San Diego, we returned to Balboa Park in order to see the Star Trek exhibit at the Air and Space Museum (this was not my idea, but Tom and his friend, Evan, seemed to enjoy it). But before we headed to the museum, we had lunch at the Prado Restaurant in Balboa Park.

It's actually set in a beautiful area of Balboa Park (no wonder so many ppl have weddings here) and there was a ton of outdoor seating. It being another beautiful day in SD, we opted to sit outside. This is the view we had...

Our waiter started us off with a small selection of bread sticks. Evan kindly repositioned them so I could get a shot of the cheesy one. They were pretty good.
The menu at the restaurant is an attempt at California cuisine, with very heavy Mexican influences. The place wasn't cheap, but I guess you can charge that much for the setting. Below is Tom's order of fish tacos. I think he said they were ok. The fish was pretty drowned in white sauce, and though the plate looked pretty, I don't think the flavors worked that well.

Meanwhile, I had chopped salad. I had taken a pic of it, but accidentally deleted it while screwing around with Tom's camera. But it wasn't that great. It was an attempt at an Asian inspired chopped salad, but ultimately, the veggies weren't so fresh and the salad dressing could've been much better. As I say quite often, I could've made a better version at home, and wouldn't have had to pay over $10 for it.

Overall, I think people go here much more for the setting than for the food (it's one of those places). But I don't question it too much, it is a goregous location, and because it's located right near the outdoor organ, you can probably hear a whole concert if there's one happening. So just realize, you're paying for the view, and not for great food.

No comments: