Sunday, March 01, 2009

GALAPAGOS, DAY 7
Day 7 in the Galapagos involved a hike to Sierra Negra, the second (or is it third) largest caldera in the world. Basically, this meant that we didn't spend a whole lot of time eating that day, so I figured I'd give you some nice pictures of the scenery. Here's a shot of the caldera itself.
And here's a shot of a lava tube:I'll admit, I didn't make it to the part with the lava tubes. I only did about half the hike, and then my parents and I headed back to the hotel where I read and took a nap. So here's a picture of our hotel rooms on the beach:The rest of the party continued on and did a full day's hike, but I just wasn't up to it. I'm really not much of an outdoorsy person, I prefer the urban jungle. By the time everyone had gotten back, it was too late for lunch, and too early for dinner, so we just got a light snack of tuna ceviche (which I didn't photograph).

To be honest, by this point in Isabela, our meals were getting kinda repetitive. I mean, they served us excellent three course meals for lunch and dinner, but I just got tired of documenting it. So I stopped taking pictures. That's basically why I don't remember what we even had for dinner that evening.

What I do remember is that it was the first day of Carnival. Even though Isabela isn't a big island (it only has around 2,000 inhabitants), they had still setup speakers and some stands farther down the beach in the middle of town. I got a tip from my sister that they were serving chicken wings at one of the stands, so after dinner, we headed over to check it out (and my other sister requested that I returned with an ice cream sandwich for her.)

What we found on the beach were people mainly hanging around and drinking beers. We found the place with the chicken wings pretty quickly. There were two ladies grilling the chicken over a make shift bbq. There was a tub full of chicken parts next to them, unrefrigerated and I totally knew I was going to get food poisoning from this (which I kinda did - but it was a mild case). I didn't mind though, it was worth it. I ordered one chicken wing skewer (which cost me $2), and it was totally yummy - grilled food just is. It was juicy and tasty. I don't know how well cooked it was, since it was so dark I couldn't tell what color the meat was, but I enjoyed it anyway. Plus, it was a rare taste of local food.

It was our last nice on Isabela, and we'd really had a great time on the island. I would miss it a lot.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: