Sunday, March 01, 2009

GALAPAGOS, DAY 9

On our 8th day in the Galapagos, we left Floreana and headed back to Santa Cruz - it was our last night on the islands. They'd planned a pretty packed day for us. In the morning, we visited the Floreana highlands and the turtle reserve there. Then it was a boat ride back to Santa Cruz where we immediately went kayaking. Right when we got back to Santa Cruz, it started to rain. We're not talking about little rain, we're talking about torrential tropical down pour, which lasted for three hours. During this time, we went kayaking, and for a not so easy hike over wet, mud covered lava rocks to see Las Grietas.

Suffice it to say that by the time it'd stopped raining, I was soaked, and in no mood to go snorkeling (which was the activity planned for the afternoon). Tom and I decided that we'd be much happier heading back to the hotel, taking hot showers, drying off and relaxing. (though we did end up missing snorkeling with sea turtles that afternoon - oh well).

When we headed back to the hotel, we were offered lunch, since it was included in our package (even though the hotel kitchen had been shut down for at least half an hour). My dad, Tom and I ended up ordering 3 of the same sandwich, and then waited 20 minutes before they came. I was kinda annoyed, given how wet I was. I had really just wanted to take a shower and grab pizza in town, but my father had wanted to eat lunch. But when the sandwiches arrived, I realized why they had taken so long:
As you can see, it's basically like a club sandwich, but they had to cook all the components before it could be assembled. This included cooking the bacon (which I removed and gave to Tom), the chicken breast (sliced thinly), warming the cheese with the ham (which I also removed and gave to Tom) and then there were those french fries. They had probably already turned off the fryer by the time we arrived, so they had to turn it back on and heat the oil.

Overall though, I enjoyed my sandwich, because it was warm and I was cold, damp and starving. That evening, we returned to the Red Mangrove Lodge for dinner at their restaurant, but it just wasn't as good after the food we'd had in Isabela. Also, they served us things that we'd had at previous dinners, so it was nothing new.

Still, we'd had an amazing trip to the Galapagos, and I was pleasantly surprised to have such great food the entire trip - I truly wasn't expecting it.

No comments: