Sunday, March 01, 2009

GALAPAGOS ISLANDS, DAY 3

Day 3 of our trip involved an all day adventure to North Seymore (a small island north of Santa Cruz). It started off with a boat ride to the island, a full on nature walk (where we saw a ton of birds, sea lions and marine iguanas), and snorkeling. This was the day that I got so severely sunburned that I hurt the rest of the trip (and I'm still peeling- despite the ton of sunblock I put on). Our lunch was aboard the ship, right before we spent the afternoon visiting an empty beach and snorekling. The quarters were a little right, but the totally set the table for us and cooked a full meal:

Here's my plate. We were each served a plate of veggies and locally caught tuna that had been breaded and fried. We were also given the ubiquitos serving of rice. It was surprisingly good, considering it'd been prepared in this little galley aboard the ship. I totally wasn't expecting to have a full meal. The one thing with the Galapagos (which I think chefs in the U.S. would freak out about) is that they have access to this wonderful yellowfin tuna, which they always cook to well done (this happened more than once). You wouldn't really see that happening in the U.S. - the tuna would be served seared, and still pretty rare. I liked the fish, though I did find it a bit overcooked. And for dessert, we got nice big refreshing pieces of watermelon.
After swimming and snorkeling on a deserted beach (where I spent most of my time trying to get the perfect picture of the Sally Lightfoot crabs), we returned to our hotel and we able to rest a little bit before dinner.

For dinner, it was back to the dining room at the Red Mangrove, but they had another set menu for us to choose from this time. (When we were at the Aventura Lodge, you got two choices with each course). For my first course, I had a crab/shrimp "ravioli".
As you can see, it's not really a ravioli. They would've been more correct in calling this a crepe (since that's what the pastry was made of). But it was a very generous portion and quite tasty.

For my main course, this time I had a shrimp dish:
It was a little heavy with the cream sauce, but they are very generous with the shrimp, and I really liked all the veggies that they used

And for dessert, I had a chocolate "mousse":
Ok, this was the one part of the meal that I didn't like. This wasn't a mousse, or if it was, someone had put waaaaaayyyy too much gelatin in, and it was really more firm than creamy. It kinda had a strange texture, and I didn't end up eating much of it. (I have issues with texture). However, we had another great day of dining and traveling and we were moving onto another island the following day.


No comments: