Thursday, November 09, 2006

IS IT ALLSTON OR BRIGHTON?

This is for Sue Min, cause she meebo-ed me and pointed out that I hadn't blogged today.

Really, can someone explain to me where Brighton ends and Allston begins? Or vice versa? I never really know if I'm in Allston or Brighton, unless I'm in Brighton Center, which is self explanatory. And it's not like Allston/Brighton are different towns like Brookline. It's still all part of Boston. So confusing, but that's Boston for ya. At any rate, I digress. Last week, Tom and wanted to grab a quick lunch before seeing Flushed Away. So I suggested we try out May's Cafe, somewhere in Allston/Brighton. I read that this was a Taiwanese place, so I wanted to check it out and compare it to the other places I've been. Plus I wanted noodle soup.

So off we went. We were lucky to find some parking near the intersection of Harvard and Comm Ave. and we walked the rest of the way, just a few blocks, to the restaurant. It kinda appeared out of nowhere, since it's set on a very residential street. But I was happy to find it filled with a couple of tables of Asians when we arrived. It's a small, narrow restaurant, with not more than 8 tables, and it's very sparsely decorated.

So after looking at then menu, we decided to order a few appetizers and noodles. I ordered some cold tofu and seaweed. I found it very yummy, especially the tofu. Tom ordered the scallion pancake. It was pretty good. Not too greasy. But it was hard for me to tell if it was store bought or home made. Tom liked it more than I did. I still prefer the ones at Shangri-la. But i did like the dipping sauce. Here are my noodles. I got the fried chicken noodle soup, something I eat often at Taiwanese restaurants, if you go back and search my posts. In this case, I thought the noodles and soup were really tasty, but the chicken lacked flavor. It could've used some salt or marinade or something. It wasn't as flavorful as the chicken that I've had at Wisteria house, but I was also happy that when you bit into it, you didn't feel all the oil and MSG coating your tongue like the chicken at Wisteria. And here's Tom's "famous" pan fried noodles with chicken, cabbage and mushroom. I also found Tom's dish pretty tasty, but he felt there were too many noodles, and not enough of the other stuff.Over all, May's Cafe was very reasonably priced and the food was quite tasty. If was located on St. Mary's, I'd totally go more often, like when I go to Sushi Express or Han River. But for me, if I'm gonna drive somewhere to get Taiwanese food, I'd rather have it at Mulan in Cambridge or at Shangri La in Belmont.

No comments: