Thursday, November 30, 2006

NEW YORK, DAY 3:

Ok, so after a long delay, I'm back to blogging. Sorry, it's the holiday season people. I'm busy. (sort of) At any rate, on our last day in New York, we met up with family at Bubby's in Tribeca. Now I'd heard of Bubby's before. It's a famous for it's brunch, for the long lines and for the no reservation policy. We were supposed to meet at 11, but Tom and I get there nearly 30 minutes early, arriving at about 10:30. This turned out to be a good thing since we were able to put our names in for a table. The not so great thing was that it was cold and sprinkly, though not yet raining. I was also getting over a cold that weekend, so I was not thrilled to be standing outside in the cold.

Here's a pic of the exterior of the placeAnd another shot of people waiting outside. The were a good number of using standing there, just waiting to get in. At 11, Tom's brother and brother's fiancee arrived and it was another 20 minutes before my cousin, Jeany arrived. Did I mention that you have to have your whole party present to get a table? At any rate, we were finally allowed in at 11:30, where I promptly began to defrost.

So Bubby's is going for that down home southern feeling. They serve you biscuits when you sit down, and they were pretty good. But it's so crowded that the waiters are always just trying to keep up, and service is pretty spotty.I ended up ordering the sourdough pancakes with turkey sausage and eggs. And I gotta say, I wasn't thrilled. I'd never had sourdough pancakes before, and I was expecting them to have a slight tanginess, but not as much as were in these. Plus the sausage and eggs were kinda cold by the time they arrived to our table. I think my cousin summed it up pretty well, Bubby's is pretty good, but definitely not worth the wait. So next time I'm in NY, I'd rather visit Congee Village or another local place, where I'll get seated faster and have better food.

No comments: