Thursday, November 30, 2006

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND POST, NEW YORK

I'm a bad bad blogger, cause I didn't take a single pic of anything I ate on Thanksgiving Day. I guess it's hard when there are so many people around. I didn't event take out my camera during the actual dinner. Ah well. On Thursday morning we had dim sum at Joy Tsin Lau with my aunt and uncle. This is the same place where they'd take me during college, and despite the fact that we got a cramped table at the back of the restaurant, in a very warm spot, the food was still great and I enjoyed it a lot.

Of course, we were back on the road that afternoon, heading up to Staten Island for Thanksgiving dinner with Tom's family. It ended up taking us 3 hours to get to NY (it would normally take 1.5 hours) and when we finally arrived at his house, neither of us was very hungry. (Remember, the more time you spend in a car, the less hungry you are). There was a ton of food there, Tom's brother, Greg, had made a turkey, but there was also a lot of Korean dishes that Tom's family had prepared. It was sad that I wasn't hungrier so that I could eat more, but I was also kinda happy that I walked away from Thanksgiving without being painfully full. It made watching Grey's Anatomy that night much more enjoyable.

Our last meal in NY was at the Unicorn Diner in Staten Island for breakfast the next morning. (Did I mention that this was my first trip to Staten Island?) It was one of those quirky old places, with booths and weird decor. But the also had a huge flat screen tv. Here's a shot of the interior.I ended up ordering waffles and a side of home fries. Tom ended up getting waffles, but he also got pork products in 3 different ways (sausage, bacon and ham). This is the same person who says I make him fat. At any rate, here's my waffle, which was very yummy and well cooked.And here's my side of homefries. It was massive, but it had lots of crispy parts, just they way I like it. This meal was much better than the one we'd had at Denny's a few days earlier, and was also better than the meal I'd had at Bubby's. So if you ever happen to be on Victory Blvd. in Staten Island, definitely drop by this place. And here's a final pic of Tom. He won't be seeing it for a few days since he's at home, sick, so enjoy it before he makes me take it down.All in all, it was a good Thanksgiving. It was very tiring with all the driving, though, it was great to be back home just to get some rest.

No comments: