Monday, February 12, 2007

ALL STAR SANDWICH BAR REVISITED

It's been a while since the last time I went to the All Star Sandwich bar; at least 6 months. So yesterday, after visiting the animation exhibit at the Museum of Science, Tom and I headed over with a few friends for some sandwiches. Not surprisingly, it was crowded as usual, but we were able to miss the large crowd that followed us and snagged a table fairly quickly.

Now, the last time we visited All Star, it was still pretty new and they were working out the kinks. Upon our return, we'd noticed that they cut down the menu a lot. Almost in half. Many of those great sandwiches that were there before weren't on the menu anymore, and many of the sandwiches we enjoyed had become daily specials. My usual, the Rachel, could now only be ordered on Mondays. (Po boys can be ordered on Friday) Since we were there on a Sunday, the special was a Monte Cristo. Since nothing else on the menu really thrilled me, I ended up getting that (minus the ham, but with more turkey) and an order of fries. Our orders came up pretty quickly, and I think everyone enjoyed their sandwiches. I liked my fries, which were crispy and well salted, but my sandwich was a huge disappointment. It was really almost tasteless and the bread was soggy. I truly longed for the crunchy, sweet, cheesy, saltiness of the Rachel and was so sad that I couldn't order one. I ended up only finishing half my sandwich and eating fries.

So would I go back to All Star? I suppose if it were a Monday and I could order the Rachel. Otherwise, the staples on their new menu aren't all that thrilling, and you'll still be waiting a long time to get in. Plus parking in the area sucks. So I guess I'll be hoping that they return the Rachel back to it's rightful place on the regular menu, or start looking for another sandwich place.

No comments: