Monday, February 05, 2007

A WEEKEND OF UNHEALTHY EATING

This weekend I totally ruined any improvements in eating habits by having a weekend full of unhealthy meals and snacks. I blame this in part on the cold I currently have. I have just been too tired and unmotivated to cook, despite a fridge full of veggies. The second part would be the Superbowl, which we celebrated by eating more unhealthy snacks.

On Saturday night we started off our weekend of unhealthy eats by visiting O'Leary's, the neighborhood Irish pub. We go to O'Leary's a few times a year, but I've never written about it. (I think it's cause I never take my camera there). I've always liked the very casual, neighborhoody vibe there. It really feels like all the regulars know each other, much more likeable than the Washington Square Tavern. And it's fun to watch a game there if you don't wanna be stuck at home watching it alone. So Tom and I headed over there for a quick dinner before spending the night in Randolph. I always like the O'Leary's bread basket, with its selection of homemade breads and biscuits. And I ordered my usual basket of chicken fingers.

This is like one of the simplest things that a bar could make. Take the chicken fingers out, fry them in oil and serve. Yet places still manage to screw them up. I like the ones at O'Leary's. They're hot and not greasy at all. Tom ordered the seafood platter, which was a bunch of different types of fried seafood.
I think we were both surprised at how well cooked everything was. The scallops were still really juicy on the interior and I think Tom enjoyed the clam strips. I liked the cocktail sauce the most, but the onion rings weren't bad, either.

After spending the evening in Randolph, we decided to get breakfast before heading back into the city. Tom decided to take me to Ihop, which I was fine with because I hadn't been there in at least 4 years. I have always liked their selection of syrups, even though I always use the normal pancake syrup.After perusing the menu, I decided to get a Belgian waffleAnd a side of hash browns.
I enjoyed both of my dishes, but the waffles could've been crispier. Basically they were pretty good, but not as good as the waffles and potatoes that I'd had at the Unicorn? Pegasus? Diner back in Staten Island.

Meanwhile, Tom got a chicken fajita omlette, which actually looked pretty scary to me.And a stack of the whole wheat pancakes. I'd also considered ordering the same pancakes before I got my waffle, but I'm glad I didn't. Even though I liked the flavor and added texture of the nuts and stuff, the texture of the pancake itself wasn't so great. It was actually kinda floppy and sad. However, Tom did like his pancakes and said the fajita omlette was pretty good.
After breakfast, we headed back to Boston, where Tom made me spend the whole day indoors (due to the cold). But that was fine since we needed to start preparing for the Superbowl party at my house. It was just a small gathering. Tom prepared a chicken peanut soup. I made some white bean dip with homemade pita chips. The pita chips were incredibly easy to make, so I may make them again in the future. Leah made pigs in a blanket (she made me ones with chicken hot dogs that were totally yummy) and she brought over onion dip with Pringles, a childhood favorite of mine that I haven't had in years. And Sue Min brought over some mini quiches and samosas, which we never got to.

After half heartedly watching the game and stuffing myself with junk food, I finished off my meal with a fat free Fudgsicle, which I finally found at the super market in Randolph. Too bad I can't find these at Johnnies, it'd make life so much easier. So after this weekend of unhealthy eats, I pledge that this week I'll be making a greater effort to eat better. Right after I finish eating this chicken hot dog in pastry. yum!

No comments: