Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I'M A FAMOUS FOODIE!

Ok, readers, I don't know if you all know this, but I am a famous foodie. That's right. Me. Why do I state this today? Because apparently I have the ability to influence eating choices of completely random strangers. (Yes, I realize I occasionally influence the eating decisions of the 5 friends and family that read this- some more than others, but I'm talking totally random stranger this time) Here's what unfolded last night: Phone rings.

Me: Hey Leah, what's up?

Leah: Umm, did you know that someone mentions you in a review of Oishii on Citysearch?

Me: Uhm, no. What are you talking about?

Leah: (Reads excerpt from Citysearch below)

Me: Uhhh, that's weird.

Leah: Yeah. Ok. Talk to you later!

After having this discussion, I had to look it up myself, so you can click here to find it or keep reading....

Sushi Rolls do not a true sushi bar make. Having eaten at restaurants like Nobu, Masa, Sushi Yasuda, Jewel Bako and other top sushi restaurants in the United States this is merely average fair. I don’t understand why this is rated as high as it is and why a foodie like Caroline Yeh raves about this place. The fish is fresh but average, the presentation and orginality is lacking. This merely an average sushi experinces. I have also had the pleasure of eating at Kyubei 8-7-6 Ginza Chuo-ku Tokyo, Japan. And had the privilege of meeting the second generation Kyubei himself. Kyubei has been opened for 71 years and it just doesn’t get any better than this. In this temple of sushi only the freshets of fish on perfectly flavored rice some with a hint of wasabi, some with a hint of grated lime is offered up and eaten by true sushiphiles using their fingers to hold the tender succulent morsels up to their eager mouths. There are no bottles of soy on the bar and no wasabi is provided. The sushi is served as the chef see fit. Live shrimp, uni, abalone, tuna belly, yellow tail, all presented on handcrafted pottery. The best I ever had a set of 12 pieces chosen by the chef (omakase shimasu", which means roughly, "I trust you [the chef]." was $80.00 USD with a glass of cold premium sake. Sorry Oishii…………. I will actually be in Boston on business and I am looking at trying Ken Oringer UNI. Lets see if it holds up to my criteria for great sushi.

After reading this entry, I had to think of what made this woman think that I liked Oishii so much. Then I remembered that a few months ago Citysearch had asked me to write something up about local places I visit. My quote of Oishii is "No longer a secret for Boston sushi lovers, it's definitely worth waiting to snag a seat in this cozy restaurant." I don't really consider that a rave. And to be honest, I haven't eaten at Oishii in two years.

I found it totally funny that this person took her review of Oishii as an opportunity to brag about all the high faluting sushi restaurants that she's been to in the U.S. and abroad. And hey, you've got me there. All the places she's mentioned (minus Nobu) are places I can't even afford to eat at. And more than that, everyone reading this knows that I rarely eat sushi in Boston, preferring to go home and eat a local joints in LA. I think Oishii is good by Boston standards, but what I expect at the average sushi place in LA. And lastly, as most of you all know, I don't eat raw fish (it's a texture thing, not because I'm afraid of eating raw stuff), so yeah, I wouldn't be the best judge of raw sushi. I just eat the rolls.

But still, totally random stranger, not even from Boston, thinks my opinion is worth listening to. Are there any more of you out there? If so, speak up. I'm curious.

2 comments:

cathy said...

ur such a nutjob

being that i AM one of the people that read your blog and i HAVE told you you should be a food critic, and that my friends that i have sent your blog say so too, i am now telling u to go shove it :)
cuz i said this years ago...and you dont notice what i say..maybe ill go post something on citysearch too.

That Girl! said...

I loved finding that rant on City Search. It just cracked me up. I love the idea of you being a "foodie". It's true that you like great food but I also know that you're a girl who puts ketchup on her fried chicken; I love you for that!