Tuesday, May 29, 2007

RED HOOK BALLFIELDS

We didn't arrive to the Red Hook Ballfields until 3:30, and we were all starving and ready to eat. Luckily, there were plenty of food options. So what are the Red Hook Ballfields? You can read about it in the NYTimes review. Suffice it to say, it is filled with Latin American food vendors, so I could eat to my heart's content. When we arrived, it was pretty crowded, and even though it was late in the day, many of the vendors had lines for food.

We got in the first line we saw, a line for huraches. They're kinda like gigantic soft tacos, but the middle of each tortilla is filled with a thin layer of beans. Here's a pic of them being grilled. We ordered one for each of us, two chicken and two beef.
Here's mine, filled with lettuce, tomato, hot sauce, cheese and I don't know what else. Though the chicken wasn't grilled (unlike the steak), it was still really tasty. I enjoyed it a lot.

After acquiring are huraches, we got in line for drinks- fresh fruit juice. We ordered one lime, and Tom got a watermelon, which he really liked. Meanwhile, I was off buying one of my favorite food items, grilled corn. Here's a pic of the guy grilling the corn... And here's a pic of my half eaten corn. Smothered with mayo, cheese, chili and lime, it was delicious and I had eaten half of it before we even sat down.
We grabbed a seat on a grassy patch and munched away. And amazingly enough, I still wanted another corn after finishing my hurache. So off we went, and I finished that one, too. Meanwhile, Tom was also still a bit hungry, so he ordered some taquitos.
They had already been fried once, but they were put into the hot oil again, to be heated a second time. They were then topped with some pickled veggies and salsa. When Tom got them, they had been so over fried that they were tough and it was hard to even identify which type of meat was inside (I guessed pork or chicken). They weren't the best item of the day, but I thought everything else was great. And it was just nice to be outside, enjoying the beautiful weather and eating delicious food.



No comments: