Tuesday, June 12, 2007


BRIGHTON CAFE

Once again Tom and I were searching for a place to have breakfast more or less in our neighborhood. I don't know why it's so hard to find a decent breakfast place (meaning it's open before 11) that doesn't require a 45 minute wait (Zaftigs) in our neighborhood. So when Tom suggested the Brighton Cafe, I figured, why not, we'd been to almost everything else around. Plus, it's conveniently located blocks from the Whole Foods, where we were going for our weekly grocery shopping.

If you recognize the pic below, it's because the cafe is located diagonally across the street from Tasca. (the tapas place I reveiwed a little while ago). It's a fairly large space and we walked in, the tables were filled mainly the students and a few locals. What's also a little unusual is that the whole place is run by Asians. You don't normally see Asians running diners, but whatever.

So Brighton Cafe serves breakfast all day at dirt cheap prices. I don't think anything on the breakfast menu was over $8. And after checking out their lunch menu (made up mainly of burgers and sandwiches) nothing topped $7. So that helps to explain why this place is so popular with the student crowd. Service was pretty prompt, so we placed our orders.

Tom got a stack of pancakes with ham. He decided that they weren't very good, but edible. What you could you expect for these prices?
Meanwhile, I got one fried egg, which came with a side of homefries and toast. I liked the eggs and toast, but the homefries were pretty dreary. They were overcooked and crumbled the second you tried to poke them with a fork. I covered them with ketchup and ate about half of them before giving up. You could imagine just about everything the Brighton Cafe served coming premade by Sysco and just reheated.
Align Left

So after trying out Brighton Cafe, I am once again on the hunt for a decent breakfast place in the Kenmore/Brookline/Brighton area. Brighton Cafe certainly served it's purpose of cheap meals for students, but it wasn't worth the drive and I could've made a better breakfast at home (which in retrospect, I should've. I don't know why Tom wanted to go out to eat). If you have any suggestions, please keep me posted. Otherwise, I guess I'll be waiting for Z Square to open in Kenmore.

1 comment:

That Girl! said...

The busy bee is good. I like it there a lot but there is sometime a line. And there is that place down in Brookline Village by the toy store and the Yoga Studio. It's small and only has room for counter seating but I've had tasty breakfasts there too.