Monday, June 25, 2007

I START A GREASE FIRE

We had our friends over last night for a Wii party and Tom and I decided to serve Korean food. We bought pre marinated bulgogi from Lotte Mart on Mass Ave. I'd driven by this place hundreds of times, but had never gone in, and was really surprised at how big it was. They have a ton of fresh veggies and they even have a fresh fish counter there. We bought 2 boxes of beef and 1 box of pork, which came out to nearly $30! But it ended up feeding like 10 people, so I guess it wasn't that much.

However, while starting to cook the meat, I ended up starting a grease fire. We have an electric stove (booo!) and lots of the fat and oils drip down, which we never clean up. Well, the reason why you have to clean it is cause the damn stuff will light on fire if heated too hot, which is exactly what happened yesterday. Hoping it would go out on it's own, I stupidly left it alone. After a minute, when it didn't go out, I dumped baking soda on it, which I gotta say, works splendidly. I did smoke up the apartment, and it was probably the worst kitchen fire I've ever had, but at least no one got hurt and I don't think I caused any permanent damage. Tom will be cleaning the stove later.

Meanwhile, back to the party, I used a bulgogi marinade recipe from FoodTV to marinate my chicken, and the marinade ended up being far too salty. But I did make some good banchan- a seasoned spinach and another seasoned mung bean dish. I think everyone enjoyed the bulgogi that we bought at Lotte Mart. The pork seems to have been a big winner, but we really finished everything. All in all, a fun party with yummy food.

No comments: