Thursday, July 12, 2007

NY, DAY 3

Day 3 in NY was the day I actually worked. Tom and I spent close to 6 hours at the Fancy Food Show, walking the floors, talking to suppliers and trying lots of samples. My favorite was the duck magret from D'Artagnan, but then again, I am crazy for duck. By the time we'd finished, we were exhausted and staggered back to my cousin's apartment for a nap.

When we awoke, we were hungry. So we headed out to the local Mexican joint. We had always walked by this place on the way to the subway and I was always curious about it, so we figured it'd be a good time to try it out. I assumed it'd be one of these hole in the wall places. Not much decor or charm with great food at low prices (like Havana Chelsea in NY).

Here's a pic of the exterior. It's called Pedro's . Like I said, not much for charm.
You go down a set of stairs and place your order at a counter with a hot table. There really isn't a menu, so much as different dishes written on large cards and pasted everywhere. The service wasn't very helpful or all that nice, either.

Tom ordered a chicken taco and a tamale. As we watched the woman go for the tamale and then microwave it, we knew we needed to be skeptical about this place. After grabbing our food (which did end up being cheap enough) we headed out to park bench to dig into our food.

Here's a pic of Tom's chicken taco. It looks decent enough, but he found it tasteless.
Here's my order of arroz con pollo. I gave it 3 bites before giving up. First, it really wasn't flavorful at all. Also, it was about 85F and humid out, so I couldn't put down any hot food.
Lastly, here's Tom's tamale. I think it looks about as bad as it tasted. As in dry and lacking in any flavor.

So it wasn't such a great idea to go to Pedro's. We should've asked my cousin before going, but she was also taking a nap. But at least if you're ever in DUMBO, you'll know to order pizza, rather than going to the Mexican place.

1 comment:

everybodylovesamonkey said...

What do you mean? Pedro's was the shiz-niggity!... OK, maybe not.

Now we know about Pedro's. And knowing is half the battle. **GI JOE**!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7_rBZgzGFA