Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A TRIP TO THE FARMER'S MARKET

Ok people. I'm taking a break from finishing Harry Potter to write this post. (I figure if I read non stop all day today, I'll have a shot at finishing.) So last week, Tom and I made a trip to the Brookline Farmer's Market. For some reason, I only make it once a year (probably because I usually don't have a Thursday off), and this time it rained. But that didn't stop the farmers from setting up, though it did seem like there were fewer vendors than usual.

The market is stocked with fresh veggies, but we we didn't buy any because we still had our order from the CSA, that keeps our fridge fully stocked with fresh veggies every week. (I've already found 3 good CSA candidates in Berkeley. And they're year round. HAHAHA.)

Ok, back to Brookline. Here is a crate of globe zucchini. I thought they were cute. And probably fun to stuff.
Here's a shot of one of the farm stands.
Tom and I did pick up a few things, like a turkey pot pie from Bob's Turkey Farm. We've never tried one before, and we're having it for dinner tonight, so I'll let you know how it is. They do have a sign that says the turkey pies don't contain veggies, which is a first for me (an all meat turkey pie?) but we'll have a side salad.
Clear Flour has a booth, too. So of course, Tom couldn't resist picking up a loaf of bread. He picked up a sourdough loaf, which was pretty good (though not so great the next day).

Finally, Tom got a pie from the pie guy. They have mini pies, so he got a strawberry-rhubarb one. When we got home and tried it, I wasn't a huge fan. I don't particularly like cooked fruit or rhubarb. Tom thought it was OK, but find the crust a bit old and dry. It probably would've been better had it been fresh.
And that was our trip to the farmer's market. About a week from now, I'll be FREE!!! And I'll be able to go to any farmer's market that I want. So perhaps I'll be reporting on those in the future.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I really enjoyed the farmers market last week in the rain... the weather gave the proceedings a bit of a surreal feeling. I picked up some amazing pea tendrils.