Monday, October 22, 2007

MORE BREAKFAST OPTIONS

I'm sure you guys are getting sick of reading about breakfast posts, and believe me, I do have other things to write about. But Tom and I continue to look for different breakfast options in our area. One place just 3 blocks from out apartment that Tom wanted to try out is a place called Nations. It's a burger place, but it's open 24 hours a day and everytime we drive by it in the morning, the parking lot is packed with cars.
So we figured we'd give it a try. The minute you walk in, you realize you're not in for a fancy meal. You don't have many options for breakfast, but they're all cheap. No wonder this place is so popular. Tom and I ordered our breakfast, and paid around $11 for the two of us.

Here's a shot of the seating area.
As you can see, it's nothing fancy. And kinda bordering on ghetto. Here's a pic of
Tom's Giant two egger:
You get double portions of eggs, bread, bacon and hash browns. Meanwhile, I ordered just toast and hash browns.
Ahhh, take a look at my fancy plastic cutlery. The hash browns weren't bad, but I don't think we'll be coming back. When I mentioned to my coworker that we'd gone to Nation's for breakfast, he mentioned that a teenager had been shot there recently....great...

Another one of our local and favorite breakfast places is Daimo. It's a great casual Chinese restaurant in the Ranch 99 complex near our house and we like going here in the mornings for some simple dim sum and congee. Here's a typical samples of what we get:
In front you can see my order of duck congee. Mmmm, my favorite. and Tom also got some different varieties of ride noodles- one with shrimp and the other with roast pork. We actually just had breakfast there yesterday and Tom got a bunch of dumplings.

Lastly, I haven't mentioned my CSA membership at all, but I'm pretty happy with it. I'm a member of the Fully Belly Farm CSA and I pick up my order every Friday morning about a half mile from our house. It's a little different from our CSA in Boston in that our boxes are smaller, but we also pay less. The selection has been quite good and I actually pick up my box in front of someone's house, so it's kinda sad that I don't have any real person to person contact with the actual farm members. But every week that I go, I see all these boxes piled up at the pick up point, and it's great knowing that so many other people are also supporting local farms.

Here's a picture of a typical box: You'll see radishes, corn, Komatsu (a type of green), squashes, green beans and a few other things. I hope that this will inspire some of you to join a local CSA in your area.

No comments: