Monday, October 29, 2007

A GREAT DINNER A GREAT CHINA

My Aunt Sherida's in town to help take care of my soon to be born baby cousin and her friend had told her about a Chinese restaurant in Berkeley that's famous for its Peking duck. She didn't know the name, but a quick search on Google and we found out that the restaurant is called Great China and it's located in the heart of downtown Berkeley. So while my mom was visiting last weekend, we decided to check it out.

Unfortunately, parking is really hard to find in downtown Berkeley on a Friday night around dinner time, so it took me a while to find a spot. By the time I arrived, I was cold and hungry, but luckily, all the ordering had been taken care of.

We started off with a very good seafood soup. It was perfect for me, cause I'm coming down with another cold (as is Tom- I'm telling you, little kids are germ factories.)
Next, we were served this lovely Peking duck. On the side were these super thin pancakes, but what made the duck so special was two fold. First, they had removed all the fat off the super crispy skin. The other thing was that they had removed all the meat from the duck, so that was served in the pile under the skin. It was really great and my aunt kept saying this was the best duck she'd ever had.
My mom and aunt had done some major over ordering, though. So the food kept coming. Luckily, it was all really great. A lof less greasy and oily than some of the Chinese food I've become accustomed to. And the flavors were a bit different. Here's some ground chicken in lettuce cups:
Another one of our favorites were these freshly made steamed buns with crab. The buns were really delicious, and even though we were stuffed, we couldn't help be eat more of them.
Lastly, my mom had specially ordered lobster. It was something the restaurant didn't normally serve, and they had to order the lobsters especially for us. Even though I've had lots of lobster with ginger and green onion, but this one was unique due to the rice wine they used. Also, the lobster was exceptionally fresh and sweet tasting. I really enjoyed this dish a lot.
So dinner at Great China ended up bring really great. Though the service wasn't so wonderful, I wouldn't mind going back for some more of the delicious duck and lobster.

No comments: