Friday, July 04, 2008

CITY BAKERY, LA

Many of you may have visited the original City Bakery in NY, but did you know that there's also a City Bakery in LA? I knew it existed, but had not yet visited, so early on a Monday morning, we headed over to the Brentwood Country Mart where City Bakery is located.

The space that City Bakery is located in used to be a supermarket, so it's quite a large space, but it's set up quite differently from the NY location (which I just went to last week). Unlike NY, the LA City Bakery actually has counter service, so you can order food and have it made for you - totally unlike the cafeteria only service in NY. I'm not sure if this is because the cafeteria only thing didn't work in LA, or if they had always planned to have counter service. Anyway, here's the one of the interior shots of the place. What's funny is that the cafeteria part of it isn't very large at all - the entire right half of the picture is actually like a little gourmet market place where you can buy different ingredients and foods.

They had just brought out the mac and cheese, so of course he had to get some, and I must say, it was excellent. Buttery, cheesy and with crunchy bits, I enjoyed it quite a lot.
And here's a pic of the bakery case, with their famous giant morning buns right in front. I actually wasn't that hungry, and other than the few bites of mac and cheese, I had a coffee.
Overall, this location of City Bakery is a little unusual, but early in the morning, it was a great place for a casual breakfast. I'm sure it gets packed in the afternoons, and they don't have a ton of seats, but I wouldn't mind going back in the future for some more of that delicious mac and cheese.

No comments: