Thursday, August 24, 2006

LOBSTERS ON A ROLL!

Ok, sorry for the title. I've been inspired by Leah, who's very excited to see Snakes on a Plane tomorrow night. And for some reason, obvious, banal statements with an exclamation point amuse me. Like "Jeans in a store!" which Leah has written on a poster in her display.

So Sunday kicked off our week of gluttony. And spending obscene amounts of money on food. As you all know, one of my summer goals was to go to Maine to eat lobster. I don't know why, but I've always felt that eating lobsters in Maine makes the lobster taste better. It's sweeter and has a better texture...and for this trip, I decided that we'd go to two well known lobster places. After driving for nearly two hours, we arrived at the Clam Shack in Kennebunk, Maine. Which oddly enough is across a small bridge from Kennebunkport. Here's the sign that divides the two towns. Sadly, it had to be the first rainy day in like a week. Of course! On my day off and the day of my lobster-eating! You could tell that the area is really quaint and lovely. Set right on a river with a nice view. But it was raining, and kinda cold.Ok, back to the Clam Shack. Here's the view from the bridge.It's pretty much your typical seafood shack, that you'll find all along the coast of New England. But the NYTimes had said that it had one of the best lobster rolls in Maine, so that's what we tried out. You order at the outdoor window. And are asked if you want mayo or butter. We ordered butter. Here's Tom paying for our lobster rolls. (Isn't he soooo cute everyone??? He's gonna kill me for writing that).And here are the lobster rolls. They look pretty basic. Just some buns with lobster meat on them, but really, they are so much more than that. The buns were slightly toasted and then slathered with butter. Lots of butter. And the lobster meat was sooooo sweet and juicy. Simple and perfect. I liked this much more than the lobster roll I had at B&G a while back.Huong actually got a lobster dinner rather than a lobster roll. It was very reasonably priced and I think she enjoyed it. She ordered in the larger market space next to the outdoor ordering window. You could also get all types of silly lobster paraphenalia indoors. The only thing that took away from the whole experience was the rain. This place is obvious designed for outdoor dining, with benches and tables made of lobster traps to the side. But with the rain, the only place to sit was on a couple of outdoors benches which were slightly sheltered from the rain. We still got wet. Plus there wasn't enough room for all the ppl ordering and eating. So a lot of people just ended up dining in their cars. Other than that I was very satisfied with my roll and looked foward to more lobster that evening.

No comments: