Friday, August 04, 2006

SUMMER RAMBLINGS

Yes, i know it's been a week since my last post. But my computer crashed and I had to send it in for repair, so no blogging for a week! I also haven't been bringing my camera to work with me lately, so also now pics. Sorry peeps. But I thought I'd put together a random bunch of thoughts for you about summer dining so far....

Farmer's Markets
I've been to a few farmer's markets this summer and hands down, my most favorite one is Wilson's Farms out in Lexington. I just went last week with Katie, and I even took pics for all of you (I'll add them in later). First, I figured out that it really isn't as far as I thought it'd be. Just a 20 minute drive from home. So definitely worth more trips. The thing is, I don't know if this tenchically counts as a farmer's market. I mean sure, the place is gigantic and surrounded by the farm that provides its fresh produce, herbs, etc. But not everything is grown there. I picked up some lovely yellow peaches, but they were grown in the South. And I don't think they were organic. It's more like a farmer's market-Whole Foods hybrid, except things are actually much cheaper at Wilson's (like the 2 quarts of blueberries I bought Tom, that cost less than $10). It really has an incredible variety of fresh fruits and veggies. Plus a great bakery and cheese section. I liked it lots.

As for the more traditional farmer's markets, I haven't made it out to the Brookline one, yet. (And probably never will since I always work on Thursdays). So based on that, I'd have to say that surprisingly enough, the farmer's market at Government Center is my favorite one so far. I went there twice this week (there were more vendors on Monday, than Wednesday, but that might've had to do with the 100+F on Wednesday). There were a good number of vendors, even some craft vendors. What I liked most was that they had 2 bread vendors (i got a very yummy brownie on Wednesday) and all the produce vendors had large selections of food. The downside is the lack of parking, so you have to T it.

The Davis Sq. and Central Sq. farmer's markets are about equal. Both have a good number of vendors and parking. Maybe a slight edge to Davis for having a cheese vendor and a meat vendor. I think these are good neighborhood farmer's markets. You know, just to pick something up on your way home, and I really appreciated this when I lived in Central, like half a block from the farmer's market, but they certainly aren't a place where you can build a meal.

Let's not even bother mentioning the Harvard Sq farmer's market. Ok, I haven't actually gone. And Katie did get me a cool chocolate mint plant there. But I do drive by it, and it's not worth stopping at. At best, it has 3 stalls, and you will never find parking. Ever. And in this category, I would also stick the farmer's market at the South End Open Market, though maybe it shouldn't really count since it isn't a farmer's market. They do have 2 food stalls, though. But they're really small. Just one bread vendor and one veggie vendor. There's free parking, though.

Other Thoughts
Wulf's fish market. Located right on Harvard Ave. next to Duk Bao and Shabu Village, the fish market is in a convenient location. It's apparently been there for nearly 40 years, so is a neighborhood institution. They buy their fresh fish every morning at market and they buy only enough for what they sell that day. Which means if you get there later in the day, there won't be much left. When Tom and I went, we arrived in the later afternoon, so a lot of things were already sold out. Still, we were able to get some nice fish filets. I will say that this place is expensive, though. I'm all for supporting small businesses, but I gotta watch my budget. Next time, I'll get my fish at Whole Foods.
Browned Butter. Is my new favorite thing. Seriously, why didn't I discover this earlier? You can put it on like anything. Ok, that's not true, but it works great for fish and any pasta. So quick and simple, you kinda want to forget how much fat and calories its got. Try it out sometime.

Recipes from
Epicurious. I used to always go to foodtv.com first when searching for recipe inspirations. But you had to wade through a lot of crap. I refused to make any Emeril recipes and such. So lately I've been using epicurious and it has served me magnificently. They always come up with great recipes for any ingredient I type in. Like the fish tacos I made the other night. Then I supplement with Cooks Illustrated.

Speaking of Fish Tacos
. I really have been trying to cook at home more this summer. It's just hard to cook and photograph at the same time (which is why my camera is broken and I had to steal my parents' camera to replace it), so I don't normally document these meals for you. But I've found out that a key ingredient to make fish tacos is making pickled red onions to go with it. It's quick and simple. Yes, boiling vinegar smells, but it's worth it. Try it out.

Rant against JP Seafood. Ok I realize that many readers of this blog like JP Seafood in Jamaica Plain. And Tom will probably never make another restaurant recommendation after reading this, but I need to be honest, and that's what you like about me! I mean, do you want me to lie and give you bad restaurant recommendations when you ask them of me? (And you all do it). I've had two trips to JP Seafood, and I hate that place. Sure, it's good if you're looking foward to a non-Asian's interpretation of what Asian food might be like. But if you're looking for anything authentic, it's just so off. I mean, Katie said it last night, it was the first Asian restaurant she's ever been to without Asians. And I've always told you that's a bad bad sign. The fact that I ordered a green tea and got a tea bag in a little metal pot. Like the ones you get at IHOP?? So bad. My agadeshi tofu was soggy and so yucky. The tempura sauce it came with was virtually tasteless. I had to add soy sauce to it so it was adding some flavor. How do you screw up something so simple? Sigh. At least I liked my bean sprout salad, but otherwise, I just can't eat there. I would much rather go to Porther exchange to get really good Japanese food for less.

Ok, that's it for now. I'm off to the Berkshires this weekend for the Tanglewood Food and Wine Classic (work work work). But hopefully I will be able to bring you back some stories of yummy food.

No comments: