Thursday, August 24, 2006

TWO POUND LOBSTERS AT TWO LIGHTS LOBSTER SHACK

After lunch at the Clam Shack we continued on our Maine eating adventure, but took a break and spent the afternoon in Portland. We visited the Portland Museum of Art and walked around a bit in Old Port before heading off to Cape Elisabeth to the Two Lights Lobster Shack. The place is actually just a short drive from Portland, it probably took 20 minutes to get there. Here's a view of the sign from the parking lot. As you can see, the rain didn't stop for the entire day, and it had grown even colder when we arrive at Two Lights. It felt like a typical fall day.
So Two Lights is named and known for its view of the two lighthouses , one of whic is still in use. And a foghorn, which was definitely in use throughout our entire visit. In front of the restaurant is a lovely view of the ocean and you can climb all over the rocks. I gave up after a bit cause i wsa freezing. But Kjell made it to the water's edge.
Instead, I went running up to the actual restaurant, which was pretty packed when we entered. It was also exceedingly cute, and basically what you expect from the typical Maine lobster shack. It was warm and cozy on the instead, with everything made of wood, and filled with locals enjoying their lobster dinners. There was also a lovely view of the ocean. Actually, maybe it wasn't so bad that the weather sucked. Because we were able to order and grab a table right away. (i'd read stories about people waiting an hour for their food).
Whic wasn't to say that we didn't wait. We waited a bit for our lobsters to emerge from the steamers. But I was fine with that because it meant that they were being made fresh. I ended up order they typical lobster dinner. At Two Lights, they only serve two pound lobsters (at other places you're often allowed to pick the size of your lobster). But you can add a second lobster for $10 extra. However, I found that unnecessary. Along with my dinner below, I ordered a cup of clam chowder.
I'll admit that I wasn't a huge fan of the chowder. It was much more watery than I like. (Yes, i know there's debate about this all over New England as to whether chowder should be thick of thin. I like my chowder thick and chunky). But I did thoroughly enjoy my dinner. Along with the lobster came a big cup of surprisingly yummy coleslaw, plus fries and 2 buttery homemade biscuits. Along with all the sides, this was basically the perfect sized meal for me. (well, I was quite hungry, so probably consumed more than i usually do). The lobster was perfectly cooked. It wasn't a softshell like I'd hoped, but the shell also wasn't terribly tough. I was able to break it fairly easily with my hands. (Huong had more problems with that, though).

All in all, it was a great gustatory trip to Maine. And a great week to start off my week of gluttony. Posted by Picasa

No comments: