Thursday, October 26, 2006

LATIN FLAVOR IN ALLSTON

I was gonna start my post with a complaint that none of my friends seem to be blogging lately, so I have nothing to read during my long days at work, but I also haven't been blogging. So here's a post to encourage the rest of you to resume blogging. Please. I'm bored.

So last week Tom and I headed out to Allston to check out Sabor Latino. Tom had read some review about it in one of the free Boston weeklies (I don't remember if it was the dig or what) but we decided to check it out. We arrived there at about 4:30. I needed to have an earlier dinner since I was doing some work later that evening and not suprisingly, the place was empty at 4:30, so we got to sit wherever we wanted.

The room was quite large and Tom said the seats reminded him of the ones they have at Burger King (but not McDonald's, I don't remember why)
The waitress came over with menus and we took a quick look at it. I'd read that this place had pupusas, so I definitely wanted to try one and compare it with the one I'd had in JP. I also ordered a plate of nachos with chicken. Oh, also, the woman who took our orders seemed to speak no English at all. She seemed completely unfazed when I ordered in Spanish and just spoke to us in Spanish the whole time. I kinda liked that. At any rate, here are my nachos.

Next, I had a pupusa. I gotta say that the pupusa in JP was much better. This particular pupusa, stuffed with cheese and beans, didn't taste like corn at all. I liked the hot sauce it was served with, but it definitely wasn't that great.

It's a pretty big plate and they were actually quite tasty. But I was disappointed by the fact that they used store bought tortilla chips rather than fresh fried tortilla chips, which are really one of the easiest things in the world to make. I think the dish would've been greatly improved with the fresh chips, but these were good enough.
Tom also ordered two dishes. He had the chicken enchiladas. I thought these were pretty good. The green sauce on top is damn spicy, tho. And he got the fried tacos, which really, just looked like taquitos. I wish I could've had those cause I love taquitos, but they were stuffed with beef or pork (some meat I don't eat).
All in all, Tom and I agreed that we'd give this place a rating of 3 our of 5. I still like Tacos el Charro in JP better. This place had pretty decent food, and certainly not the worst Mexican food I'd ever experienced, but I don't think I'll be back when there are a number of other decent options closer to home. Posted by Picasa

No comments: