Wednesday, March 07, 2007

AH MOZZA, YOU THOUGHT YOU HAD DEFEATED ME....

I was about to give up and wave the white flag. I'd been trying to call Mozza continuously for 4 hours and still hadn't gotten through. Getting reservations at Per Se and Enoteca wasn't this hard (although I'll admit both cases involved a little luck). But this was ridiculous.

As some of you know, I'm off to LA next month to attend my best friend's wedding. I'll only be home for 4 nights, but I thought I'd take this opportunity to try out the new Nancy Silverton-Mario Batali pizza joint, Mozza. It has been highly praised, and Ed Levine announced that it could be one of the best pizzas in the U.S.! Since I normally go home once to twice a year, I thought this would be the perfect time to try it out. Of course, I was also checking the blogs and Chowhound and knew this was a tough reservation to get (by LA standards). They were taking reservations 31 days in advance, so yesterday, I got on the phone at 10AM (LA time) and started calling. The lines were busy. The problem was, I wasn't sure if they were busy cause the reservation lines hadn't opened yet(sometimes restaurants will do this), or if they were busy cause people were calling in. I tried a few more times and gave up. At 11:30AM, I tried again. Still busy. But I knew that the place opened at noon, so I decided to call then.

At noon (LA time) I started my calls. Luckily, my cell phone has this cool automatic redial function. So I kept my phone redialing until a line opened up. An hour and a half later, I got through! But the phone just kept ringing; no one was picking up. I hung up and tried again. This went on for another 2 hours. During this time, I had watched half of The Departed, closed the store, picked up Tom and headed down to the South End for dinner. It was at this point, that my phone FINALLY rang through! I was driving, but quickly pulled over. Making the reservation wasn't hard, either. They seemed to have plenty of spots available.

After all this effort, I hope this pizza is worth it. Tom asked why I didn't just have someone in LA make the reservation, but of course, I'm the only one crazy enough to spend nearly 4 hours redialing a restaurant to make a reservations 31 days ahead. People you're lucky to have me, otherwise, you'd never get to eat at places like Enoteca and Per Se. That being said, I'm looking foward to my dinner at Mozza. In exactly 30 days....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ed Levine of Serious Eats here. I like your blog. What kind of chocolate do you sell?

caroly02 said...

Hi Ed. Thanks for reading. I own a boutique chocolate shop and we specialize in carrying smaller, lesser known chocolate brands and chocolatiers. For example, chocolate bars by Felchlin, Pralus, Domori, Maglio and Amedei and chocolates by Jean Francois Bonnet, Brendan Gannon and Drew Shotts. If you'd like more info, please visit our website at www.temperchocolates.com.