Thursday, November 15, 2007

BAKESALE BETTY'S

Fried chicken sandwiches with spicy coleslaw. Need I say more? I was excited to go to Bakesale Betty before I'd even moved out here. And I'd even told Leah about it and showed her the pics. So since I happened to be in that part of Berkeley, I dropped by with my mom and aunt after our trip to Berkeley Bowl. There was a small line out the door, but it was moving fast. They had lots of cookies, but I knew what I wanted. I ordered two fried chicken sandwiches, an egg salad sandwich (for my mom) and a cookie. They had my order ready in like 2 minutes.

We ended up taking them home for lunch. I left one sandwich with Tom, who was working at home, and took the other one to my cousin's house. Here's the fried chicken one:
Well, what can I say, this could have been so much better. Maybe if it'd still been hot, but I doubt the ones at the store were even hot since they were frying the chicken in advance to make. It ended up being super greasy, under seasoned and that coleslaw? Not so spicy. Overall, it was eh. Perhaps it'd be different if I'd actually had one there.

And here's the egg salad.
I didn't have any, but it was the eggiest egg salad sandwich I'd ever seen. It was like all egg, no filler. There must've been 4-5 eggs per sandwich.

I guess that not all things can live up to the hype. I'll just make my own fried chicken sandwich at home.

1 comment:

That Girl! said...

You killed my dream.

Ever since I saw other food bloggers post about the fried chicken sandwich, I was under the impression that my life was incomplete without having sampled it. I mean think about it...pure genius: hot crispy chicken and cool, creamy and tangy slaw. Like a fish taco and yet not.

A bubble bursted.

Oh well, it just means you need to come up with other good reasons for me to visit you in CA...oh yeah, hot lesbian chefs, how could I forget!!!!! ;)