Wednesday, November 07, 2007

OUR FIRST MEAL IN SAN FRANCISCO...

sucked. Ok, well it's not the first time I've eaten in SF. Nor Tom's. It was just the first time we'd eaten there together after our move here. And it was completely unplanned. We were driving back to the East Bay through SF when we hit a huge amount of traffic. The option was to sit in traffic or grab something to eat and head back a bit later. I made the ultimate decision to head into the city.

I figured we could go to Chinatown and there would be plenty of places to find a cheap meal. I'd been there before and wandered the streets and found lots of restaurants. So we parked our car in a lot, got out and started wandering around. We ended up on a street filled with kitschy tourist souvenier stores. Accept they were more like megastores than little shops. We had fun wandering around, and even bought Kitty a kitty shaped food bowl. But when it was time to find a place to eat, there really weren't any on this street.

I'm not that familiar with Chinatown, but I now know that we were in the super tourist section. Had we headed a bit more north, we would have found more restaurants, but it was getting dark and we were hungry. So after wandering a few more blocks, we decided to go to a Rock n Roll Sushi restaurant. Yes, the fact that a Japanese restaurant was located in Chinatown should've been the first warning. The name should've been the second warning. But the restaurant was pretty packed, so I figured we'd give it a shot.

We were seated quickly and given enormous menus to order from. And we were served some free miso soup and this cucumber salad. The miso soup was standard, though the tofu was weird. The cucumber salad below was crappy:
Normally the cucumber salad is seasoned in rice wine vinegar and sugar. This was just raw cucumbers with some nori and soy sauce sprinkled on top. It was pretty terrible.

Tom then ordered some fried chicken and a roll. Meanwhile, I got tempura dinner. The portion was quite generous and it was OK. The same could be said for Tom's dinner.
I guess the one good thing is that the bill wasn't sky high. But I've learned my lesson about eating Japanese food in Chinatown. We'll be heading back into the city tomorrow- Tom wants to go back to Chinatown to buy souveniers for family and co-workers, but I've done my research this time, and I'm sure our second meal in SF will be much better.

No comments: