Saturday, November 24, 2007

CAFE FANNY

Everybody seems to know about Alice Waters and Chez Panisse, but lesser known to people nationwide is Cafe Fanny. Cafe Fanny is another place opened by Alice Waters, but it's really a neighborhood place for people living in Berkeley and nearby. But it's a really popular place and there's always a line. Plus they don't really have a seating area- just a handful of tables outside, a bar that you can stand at and a little bench indoors. Still, that doesn't keep people from showing up.

My sister hadn't been there before, so I decided to take her so she could try it out. We got there a bit later than I normally do- a bit after 9 and it took us 20 minutes just to order. Still, they were pretty nice about it. The one things I always get here is a cafe au lait, served French style in a big bowl. It's always tasty.

Oh also, they don't exactly have a kitchen at Cafe Fanny. Just a small work area out in the open. So here are orders lining up on the counter waiting to get finished and picked up.
Christine ordered poached eggs and prosciutto. I think she enjoyed it quite a bit.
And I always get a 3 minute boiled egg with toast. It seems so simple, but it's my favorite thing here and I always order it. The first time I got it, the egg shell was almost blue- totally awesome.
This is a place a visit frequently for its simple food and atmosphere. I actually ended up taking my parents like 3 days later, and I think they like, it too. So if you do come and visit, don't be surprised if this is one of our stops.

No comments: